Major choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nelsonj93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm stuck between choosing a major. I began as a biomedical sciences degree and I'm currently in my sophomore year. I like biomedical science but I'm not sure if I would like to take a whole bunch of science classes and than take more if I get into medical school. My other choices for a major were , economics, health administration, or sports and exercise science. I'm not sure if I should stick with biomed or switch out. Now, incase I do not get not medical school I'm not sure which one would have the best career prospects or better options to pursue a graduate degree.
Any input would help and is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Do what interests you. As long as you complete the pre-med required classes what you major in is irrelevant. Just do something that you really like, because it will be a long four years if you don't.

switch majors. then switch back if you want, assuming time to degree is not limited by finances. undergrad is for exploring.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously you don't want to major in underwater basket-weaving, but I think you shouldn't evaluate your major so much based on the money you think you'll earn with it. It's very possible you'll get into medical school, and also very possible that you won't, so do the thing that you'd love doing even if you didn't get in. There's very many people out there who went into their fields for just the money, despite hating the job itself, and are very miserable. Just do what you feel right in and you'll naturally push yourself to land better jobs, grow skills, etc..

Major doesn't matter for medical school. Now, if you somehow don't get into medical school or change your mind, then the major matters. Personally, I was a non-science major.