MAJOR Clarification on DAT and AADSAS Process.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kennedy55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
AADSAS STATES:
Starting with the 2011 ADEA AADSAS application, applicants no longer self-report DAT scores in the application. ADEA AADSAS will obtain your official DAT scores directly from the American Dental Association's Testing Services Center and will import them directly into your application. If you take the DAT after your ADEA AADSAS application has been sent to your designated dental schools, an updated application, reflecting your DAT scores will be forwarded to schools just as soon as the scores are received.

ADA STATES:
The DAT fee is $285 effective July 1, 2010. If the schools you requested participate in a standardized application service, e.g., the Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS) or the Texas Medical and Dental Schools application Service (TMDSAS), the scores will be provided to the schools directly and through the application service.

Schools selected at the time of application are included in the DAT fee regardless of the number of schools selected. You can also request that a score report be sent to your predental advisor at no charge at the time of application. Your personal copy of the score report issued at the Prometric Test Center is an "unofficial" report that is subject to audit as part of the DAT quality review process. Falsification of score reports or misrepresentation of a score report may result in cancellation of your scores and a two-year wait to retest. To send an official score report to yourself or alternate institution after you have submitted a DAT application, the fee is $25 per report.

As all of us have been confused about.. After we take the DAT our "OFFICIAL" scores get sent directly to AADSAS... I have applied to many schools, and I am taking the DAT on JULY 10th..

I applied for the DAT in APRIL...

Should We pay the hundreds and submit official scores to every school we applied to?

When the application and "official" scores are submitted to AADSAS, is any further score reporting required??

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS SUBJECT??

PLEASE RESPOND IF YOU HAVE SUFFICIENT KNOWLEDGE ON THIS TOPIC SO THAT WE CAN AVOID CONFUSION

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looks like no one has a definite answer to this question. I've read numerous threads already.

Several people talked to AADSAS and ADA and this is what they reported:

AADSAS: no need to send additional score report from ADA

ADA: we want our money! You need to "release" the scores even though the score is included in the AADSAS.

I spoke with all of my schools and half of them say send from ADA and the other half says no need to do anything. So, I am sending the score reports from ADA to those who requested. I am going to call the other half to confirm once I think my app is complete.

I am confused on these points:

1. Will our DAT score be printed on the hard copy that AADSAS send out to the schools? If yes, then I see no point of "releasing" our scores from ADA. If no, then we need to pay extra $$.

2. Did the DAT increase in price recently? Is this to cover score reports to all schools designated in our AADSAS? If so, then it seems like we should release our scores from ADA before this price increase. If not, then we are good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
SOLUTION!!

Ok.. here it is.. I made numerous phone calls to ada and aadsas.. and here is what i got.

AADSAS will only send reports to the schools we selected through the ADA.

ADA has implemented a new registration fee: If you apply on or after july first you have to pay $285 and you are able to select as many schools as you want for no additional charges.

**If you have applied before July 1st and paid the $225 dollars and you do not want to be held for the $25 per report.. you must send a cashiers check or money order to the ADA of $60 to to complete the $285 dollar new registration BEFORE YOU TAKE THE TEST.. 225+60 = $285

The $60 can be sent to the following address:

Department of Testing Services
211 E. Chicago Avenue, Suite 600
Chicago Illinois, 60611

yeah thats what I understood from calling ADA, AADSAS too. basically you pay $25 per school that you want to have access to your scores, which will be available on AADSAS.

Anyone know how long it took for your new scores to be uploaded on AADSAS if you tested recently (in June)?

So, I talked to Rose at Pitt today, she was saying that they don't need the paper copy from the ADA anymore - and that she thought the only case they might need it is if you retake the DAT.

So if we took the DAT earlier, we simply send the $25 per school like normal?

This is seriously frustrating!!! :confused:

Guess what everyone?? I just spent $500 to send DAT score reports to all my designated schools. Do you think it's possible to get some or all of the money back in my pocket? I'll try calling soon to see if I can negotiate something here. I feel somewhat cheated by the ADA, but I should've investigated the issue before I purchased individual score reports.

This is seriously frustrating!!! :confused:

Guess what everyone?? I just spent $500 to send DAT score reports to all my designated schools. Do you think it's possible to get some or all of the money back in my pocket? I'll try calling soon to see if I can negotiate something here. I feel somewhat cheated by the ADA, but I should've investigated the issue before I purchased individual score reports.

I think so... I mean they definitely should...just ask them if you can get the same $285 deal.. and send reports to as many schools as you want.. never hurts to try

Call this number tomorrow : 1-800-232-2162

everything is about money these days... ADA knows kids will pay the hundreds of dollars so they charge us.. people like that are terrible people.

hey ampedup, could you call and let us know what happens?

I shelled out $300 and when I asked ADA, they said there is only one process now which is you pay per school for them to view your score on AADSAS. so i dont think there is a different process for mailing paper scores to schools versus paying for them to view scores on AADSAS. i think its all just one process now. but call to double check! let me know!

hey ampedup, could you call and let us know what happens?

I shelled out $300 and when I asked ADA, they said there is only one process now which is you pay per school for them to view your score on AADSAS. so i dont think there is a different process for mailing paper scores to schools versus paying for them to view scores on AADSAS. i think its all just one process now. but call to double check! let me know!

i called aadsas.. and they said if you want us to put the DAT scores on the the application for 5 schools then you have to mark on ADA that you want 5 schools.. and if you want official paper copies, its 25 dollars per paper copy.. that is if you paid the new $285 registration fee

I'll keep everyone posted! Part of the reason why I purchased score reports is because I received some misleading information from a few dental schools. They all told me to physically request score reports from the ADA...so I'm like, I have no choice here. Because I was under the impression that all schools would need those score reports from the ADA, I purchased. I may call tomorrow or the day after. Stay tuned folks!

i called aadsas.. and they said if you want us to put the DAT scores on the the application for 5 schools then you have to mark on ADA that you want 5 schools.. and if you want official paper copies, its 25 dollars per paper copy.. that is if you paid the new $285 registration fee

hmmm...

Members don't see this ad :)
say whatttt? a good amount of schools i called said "pay through ADA". i think the scores are online via AADSAS, but schools cannot ACCESS these scores online UNLESS you paid..which is the $25/school. im pretty sure of that. i mean, what other way would the schools be able to see the scores? you gotta pay.

@kennedy55, where do you mark these schools?...isnt this the same process as paying ADA for$25/school? are you talking about AFTER july1 cus i took my test in june.

say whatttt? a good amount of schools i called said "pay through ADA". i think the scores are online via AADSAS, but schools cannot ACCESS these scores online UNLESS you paid..which is the $25/school. im pretty sure of that. i mean, what other way would the schools be able to see the scores? you gotta pay.

@kennedy55, where do you mark these schools?...isnt this the same process as paying ADA for$25/school? are you talking about AFTER july1 cus i took my test in june.

that first paragraph is correct, to my understanding. those who took the dat already, we're all getting ripped off, we have to pay the 25 per school (except for the 5 free ones) just so they can view our dat scores through aadsas. ADA is lame.

this whole time i had thought that if aadsas had recieved our score from dentin, we were set, unless schools wanted us to send a separate physical report. that would have saved alot of money, but alas, it's the worst case scenario that has become true

I just called Nick from ADA 5min ago. He said that we must still send the $25 regardless of the $285. According to him, the schools will not be able to access our DAT scores on AADSAS via Dentpin until ADA receives our $25.

So I'm not sure who to believe. .

Last edited:
that first paragraph is correct, to my understanding. those who took the dat already, we're all getting ripped off, we have to pay the 25 per school (except for the 5 free ones) just so they can view our dat scores through aadsas. ADA is lame.

this whole time i had thought that if aadsas had recieved our score from dentin, we were set, unless schools wanted us to send a separate physical report. that would have saved alot of money, but alas, it's the worst case scenario that has become true

FAIL

called ADA and they pretty much said "too late." That's $500 down the drain.

This is frustrating of the lack of consistent information. I understand ADA and AADSAS probably employ temp workers each year for CSR job, but this is ridiculous.

FAIL

Sorry to hear that. :thumbdown:

So they said it would be possible to do the "$285" deal if you hadn't already paid $25/school? When I called, they said you have to pay the $25 per school regardless. . .

I called ADA yesterday and they said that they will only release DAT scores to the schools that we designated when we first took the DAT. The first 5 were free, and for any schools other than those 5, you have to pay $25 each.
So even if our DAT has been received by AADSAS, unless it is released by ADA, the dental schools won't be able to see our scores.

I just called AADSAS and was told all the schools I applied to will get my DAT score through the application. And also I should pay ADA $25 per school if the school requires the score directly from ADA

Sorry to hear that. :thumbdown:

So they said it would be possible to do the "$285" deal if you hadn't already paid $25/school? When I called, they said you have to pay the $25 per school regardless. . .

I believe so. That's what I tried to negotiate. The person I spoke to had no clue what I was talking about, and someone else had to answer that question. It's too late if you paid $25/school.

Honestly, I could run this better. Forget designating schools to receive the DAT. Just send those straight to the AADSAS, which will already have schools designated for you. Why does the ADA need to know which schools to send reports to? Why do I have to designate each school twice? Sorry for ranting. I'm just going to move forward with this and let this slide.

FAIL

well, while its unnecessary profit for ADA, i wouldnt say that 500 is down the drain b/c you'd have to end up paying them eventually anyway. unless you were to take the dat after july 1, we're all in this boat together in that we gotta pay that 25 per school

but dang, 500 covers alot of schools lol

What if I took the DAT last year? I designated the schools I wanted my scores to be sent to, but I never applied for the 2010 cycle. So, are my 5 free score reports still being sent THIS cycle?