Major Crisis!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KMRDENTAL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is a Spanish Major with a Biology Minor okay for Dental School?

I've seen people with Social-Science Majors get into dental school, but never Spanish!

Also, I plan to take upper level sciences such as Biochem, A&P, and Histology.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

no reason you couldnt be a great candidate. do your best to keep up your gpa and be sure to have all the prerequisites the dental schools are asking for. get ready for the dat.
ps, be sure to apply early. spanish is a plus in the clinic too!

I was a Spanish major and Bio minor and I was just accepted to dental school. I never really felt that I was at a disadvantage with a Spanish major rather than one in the sciences. I have also incorporated my Spanish speaking skills in the dental field through volunteering at a largely Spanish speaking free dental clinic, as well as dental mission trips to Mexico. I would make sure you have all the pre-reqs and then some, do awesome on the DAT, and maintain a high GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
At a number of my interviews I was asked if I speak Spanish, and then told to try and learn basic skills before I start school because it will really help in clinic. Certain schools will really like it, stick with it. If you can bump up your bio minor to a major you'll be better off but its unnecessary as long as you rock your science classes and take a few upper level science classes. Also, if you can, use that science major to go on some kind of dental service trip to a Spanish speaking country... or find a way to spend a summer volunteering in a clinic that serve predominantly Spanish speaking people... it'll help bridge your two interests. Speaking Spanish can open up doors to some amazing community service opportunities which you should absolutely take advantage of because dental school will love it.

From my experience, dental schools will love you because you have a rare major! Granted you take all the required science courses.

From my experience, dental schools will love you because you have a rare major! Granted you take all the required science courses.

It's not so much the rarity of the major, but rather the ability to provide care for another demographic that makes the OP an attractive candidate. Even then, I doubt a spanish major has any advantage compared to the average biology or chem major.

Long story short: major in whatever you want, ace your prereqs and throw in some upper division biology courses.