major for pre med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allowat2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am currently an EMT-B I have been working in a 911 system for about a year now and have decided to do my premed. I have a couple of questions.
First I am starting off in community college to start to get my core courses for a undergraduate any views on if CC is a bad idea or not? Second I am debating what to major in as I have researched 51% of med students were science majors so the remaining 49% were non science. I've heard that spanish is a good undergrad because then you can speak another language and maybe also volunteer while in undergrad for things such as humanitarian missions. I also have seen that some medical schools do not require a undergraduate, just wondering if anyone knows if anyone has actually been admitted without an undergrad and if so what were there stats? I am currently a 21 year old I am an eaglescout have 2 years experience in 911 Ems and will be getting hired for an ER TECH job next month. I was a lifeguard in Boy Scouts. Please if you have any input or advise not only on the questions I asked but also on things to do while doing pre med reqs such as certain clubs or events to participate in. Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Major in what you want.

And ~99% of those who get into med school have a bachelors by the time they start. I can't really speak about the other 1%.

I'll let others answer your remaining questions.

The it is likely the majority of students admitted without UG degree are extremely outstanding students recruited, sometimes pushed by their own UG profs, prior to completing a degree. These are the ones who have complete publications, done outstanding research, the over achievers who are on track to graduate at 21 with two degrees, etc.

I don't think this happens, even rarely. I always assumed the 1% who entered medical school without a bachelors degree were simply involved in some sort of pipe program out of high school.

Members don't see this ad :)
This does happen, though certainly much less common than it once was. A few students get heavily recruited and/or promoted from UG to medical school. But these are the ones who won the intel science award, published papers even before college, and often have an internal promoter (eg a professor who pushes them)
So any thoughts on the spanish major will that give me an advantage for being admitted?

There really is no major advantageous to majors. Medical schools do not "Care" what you major in to an extent. I mean if you have two students, one majored in music and one majored in biology, and they have equal everything, the one who took the "easy" route or the one who took the hard "route". I would say major does not matter as long as you do not go too low. I know people who majored in english and went to med school but they are far and few inbetween to be honest. I would say major in what you like. I am majoring in Human Physiology(basically anatomy) because I love anatomy and I love medicine, and a lot of the courses are part of the pre-med curriculum and very well prepare for med school. You do want to major in something that is a feasible back up career. In my BS, I can learn up to Masters level anatomy and physiology, so while it is not doctorate level, it will certainly make the transition easier if I already know 50-70% of the anatomy we need to know. Either way, major in what you love. You will do much better with a harder major that you love then an easier major that you dislike. That is also true to an extent, if you major in something crazy like engineering which is probably the hardest undergrad major, then your GPA will take a hit, so within reason pick what you want. You have to think of the possibility of not getting into med school, it is multifactorial.

Reactions: 1 user