Major GPA repair in prep for MSTP applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which option makes sense?

• Do the second Masters at home institution

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Do fully funded PREP Program

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Work full time and study MCAT

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlackStar90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. So I have a few questions and I'm open to all advice! So as the title suggests my undergraduate GPA was not good (sub 3.0) I did have several leadership positions, shadowing, significant research hours (no publications however), vounteering experiences. I'm currently in an accelerated Masters program which also happens to be a thesis Masters program as well. So I'm conducting approximately 30 hours of research along with a full course load. (God willing we get some publications coming through in our lab) First semester I finished with a 3.57. I decided to go with a Masters beacuse after speaking with different Deans of some medical schools I've been networking with, the general consensus was being able to do well at the graduate level would show that I can handle the rigors of medical school. Now the tricky part comes in where what I will do after this program. I've gotten conflicting advice from a few Deans/program directors, some are saying I should do another year of schooling to do in total two years of gradute work and others are saying as long as I get XYZ in the MCAT I will be good to go. With my rigiorous Masters program I have found it hard to get any productive MCAT studying in during the semester due to the 30 hr lab weeks plus night classes. A bit of background for my economic situation is that I've lived on my own since going off to college at the age of 19, and it's not really realistic for me to stop working and study full time or to go back home and study MCAT full time after getting this masters (y'all know how it is sometimes). So I have the option of doing another year and getting another Masters but in Public Health at my current school if I want to. I also am thinking of applying to several PREP programs that are geared towards getting applicants ready for PhD or MD/PhD programs (leaning towards this since the programs are fully funded, have built in GRE prep, and I would get a stipend and possible inside connections to the institution's MSTP Program) Or I could work and configure a schedule to study MCAT (least desirable because I previously had a score of 494 and I need to score at least a 505 or better, my goal is 515) I guess my ultimate question is what would you do in my shoes or what advice would you have for me? Attaining acceptance is possible per the MSTP program directors and med school Deans I have been talking to, so for me that isn't the main topic of debate. As a side note I plan to take the Princeton Review prep course in a couple months. I also put a poll up for those of you who may read but not post any comments, although I do want to hear all the advice everyone has!

Members don't see this ad.

I have some friends who have done PREP programs that some similar to what you describe and in the end, there ended up being many more MCAT/GRE prep courses and general professional development components to the program than research hours. depending on exactly what you are looking for (opportunity to do serious damage in the lab with research hours/projects/publications/conferences/abstracts/etc vs. focusing on the time you need for getting that desirable MCAT score), it may or may not be the best fit for you. (by general professional development, my friends described them as seminars about science careers and science networking stuff that would not likely contribute to your goal of improving your MCAT score). in short, i suggest thoroughly examining the prep program curriculum/agenda to make sure it's what you're looking for.

if you work full time and study for the MCAT at night, you will be able to better tailor your studying to your personal needs. the nonfunded prep courses (e.g., kaplan/princeton/etc) are most helpful when you don't have the discipline to study on your own (in my opinion). if you have princeton review books and are disciplined, then the benefits of a nonfunded prep program or the MCAT study portion of the funded PREP programs you mentioned above would be minimal. if you focus and /take many full length practice MCATS/ (the best study technique in my opinion after some general review of MCAT info to know), then I think you will get your desired score.

in your situation, the best option seems to whatever it takes to get a high MCAT score that offsets your low GPA. I personally wouldn't recommend the second masters. that seems like a lot of effort for something that won't really improve your application that much more (given your 1st accelerated masters) and won't allow you as much time to study for the MCAT. and a high MCAT score is the only component of the application (apart from your masters GPA) that will help to affirm your capacity to handle something as academically rigorous as medical school.

hope this helps.

I have some friends who have done PREP programs that some similar to what you describe and in the end, there ended up being many more MCAT/GRE prep courses and general professional development components to the program than research hours. depending on exactly what you are looking for (opportunity to do serious damage in the lab with research hours/projects/publications/conferences/abstracts/etc vs. focusing on the time you need for getting that desirable MCAT score), it may or may not be the best fit for you. (by general professional development, my friends described them as seminars about science careers and science networking stuff that would not likely contribute to your goal of improving your MCAT score). in short, i suggest thoroughly examining the prep program curriculum/agenda to make sure it's what you're looking for.

if you work full time and study for the MCAT at night, you will be able to better tailor your studying to your personal needs. the nonfunded prep courses (e.g., kaplan/princeton/etc) are most helpful when you don't have the discipline to study on your own (in my opinion). if you have princeton review books and are disciplined, then the benefits of a nonfunded prep program or the MCAT study portion of the funded PREP programs you mentioned above would be minimal. if you focus and /take many full length practice MCATS/ (the best study technique in my opinion after some general review of MCAT info to know), then I think you will get your desired score.

in your situation, the best option seems to whatever it takes to get a high MCAT score that offsets your low GPA. I personally wouldn't recommend the second masters. that seems like a lot of effort for something that won't really improve your application that much more (given your 1st accelerated masters) and won't allow you as much time to study for the MCAT. and a high MCAT score is the only component of the application (apart from your masters GPA) that will help to affirm your capacity to handle something as academically rigorous as medical school.

hope this helps.
This definitely is helpful! & You're definitely right. I need the best case scenario to rock the MCAT. However, getting my 494 score I did the problems method where I ended up taking 13 FL exams in a 4 month window. When it came test day I was able to decipher concepts, and realize exactly what they were ask me but whatever formula required I didn't remember. That's why I was thinking a structured prep course could help me cover the material review quickly (I've heard PR is really extensive with their material review) as far as the PREP program, the ones I'm looking at you do research, on or two classes a semester and GRE prep. I figure if I can do 30 hrs research and full time Masters program I should be able to handle research in one of those program and GRE/MCAT prep you know? Side note is there anyway you can get me in touch with your friend even if it be via email or anything else?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk