Major Problem with Step 2 CS!!!! Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsego2002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
God only knows how, but I managed to fail step 2 cs and I'm not a FMG. I just received the results. Luckily I did not release the results in ERAS. So, to my knowledge the programs do not know that I failed it. The problem is I just received an email from one asking for my scores to be released. Again, luckily, it's not from a program that I plan on ranking, so I don't care about blowing them off and not releasing it to them. However, is this just the beginning of programs asking for the results? Does anyone know if the programs have to have the results before rank day (like apparently FMGs do from the other post on this board)?

Members don't see this ad.

The NRMP does not require programs to have Step 2 CS scores before ranking you or offering you a position on match day. You must have passed before starting residency, however.

The caveat is that programs can set their own rules about whether or not they require the scores. The NRMP does not regulate what programs require from you. Unfortunately, this information (like whether or not Step 2 is required before applying) is not publicized by programs and can usually only be gotten on a case by case basis.

i keep seeing "need to pass CS before starting residency." you need to pass all three steps to get a full license, but from what i can tell from my state licensing board, you do not need to have passed any of the steps to start residency. i may be wrong but...

pbmax said:
i keep seeing "need to pass CS before starting residency." you need to pass all three steps to get a full license, but from what i can tell from my state licensing board, you do not need to have passed any of the steps to start residency. i may be wrong but...

Technically, according to state licensing boards, you are correct and I should have clarified. The difference is that residency programs may require the tests be completed.

For example,the state of PA does not require you to complete Step 2 until the start of the 2nd year; accordingly, Step 3 must be done before moving onto the PGY3. This is a STATE requirement; medical schools and residency programs may require that Steps 1, 2 and CS are completed prior to starting residency. This is not an uncommon occurence and is best answered by contacting your school and/or the residency program at which you maybe working.

Go to the FREIDA website...the requirement for STEP 2 CS is listed for most programs...many programs that I interviewed at (for GS) require passing of CS before start of residency...and you definitely don't want to be taking time off to study for CS during residency...

Sorry to hear that bsego2002.
Took it on Jan 15th in Chicago. Hope they would delay my result untiil after match day. Where will I get another $975? Now I'm even more worried.