Major??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabster

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i'm only a high school student, very interested in becoming a doctor...maybe dermatology....but i was just wondering what you'd have to study and major/minor in for that. like biology? anatomy? what..i just need to clue in....thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You should major in whatever subject you enjoy. Your focus in college should be on getting into med school; not what specialty you plan to enter after med school. On avg, non-science major pre-meds have a slightly higher acceptance rate into med school then science (bio) majors. That shouldn't disuade you from majoring in bio if that's what you want to do though, because if you enjoy your major, you are more likely to do well in the classes and maintain a high GPA. I'd reccomend reading a med school admissions advise book before starting college so that you can have some idea of what med schools are looking for too. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're just a high school kid (is that your yearbook pic in your avatar ;)) and you're hellbent on medicine, you should look into those 6-7 yr combined BA/MD programs. Otherwise, major in basketweaving at the easiest college to obtain a 4.0 - you need the numbers to get interviews. Even if you change your mind or get rejected, a high GPA can only help you in other fields. Don't fall into the trap of going to a "good" school but only getting a "bad" GPA - people like that are a dime a dozen. Save your money - don't go to a private college if possible. Enjoy high school as much as possible...sex, drugs & rock 'n roll etc without getting any felonies! Don't worry too much about med school, yet. Good luck! :)

.....are hilarious!

Enjoy them to kill time!