Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atsabout Drive

Reaction score
So I just started this fall and I chose a associate in liberal arts because Im starting in a cc that doesn't have my program. Should I change it to biology because that is what "recommended" to become a dental hygienists ??

Members don't see this ad.

Does your CC have a Dental Hygiene program?
If walk on over there and talk to somebody about the requirements to get into the program.
----At the CC I deal with they have a list of classes you need to be taking. Biology is among those classes.

No they do not have a dental hygiene program and the advisors are very busy and all scheduled until Oct, so I already did schedule one but its kind of late. And yeah i will take the pre req and bilogy classes but should I graduate with a bachelors biology?

It’s only recommended to change bc the major will have required courses that will overlap with required prerequisites.

It’s the same for college and applying to dental school. You don’t have to be a science major, but a lot of applicants are because it’s less classes to take outside of your major required courses since they already meet the prerequisite requirements. Whereas someone who’s majoring in business analytics per se will have to take their business classes along with the science prerequisite courses.

So in short, do what you want to do, if there’s something you want to study and have a passion for I’d recommend pursing that then not having as much passion and drive for a bio major.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So everyone told me to start at a community college and do my pre req there and then go to a University ( cause its easier and cheaper) but the cc i go doesn't have a dental hygienist program. So now I applied for an associates in liberal arts and my classes were pre-planned so I dont even know what to do and if a community college is bad. Also, can someone tell me the steps to become a RDH, if you can please!

So everyone told me to start at a community college and do my pre req there and then go to a University ( cause its easier and cheaper) but the cc i go doesn't have a dental hygienist program. So now I applied for an associates in liberal arts and my classes were pre-planned so I dont even know what to do and if a community college is bad. Also, can someone tell me the steps to become a RDH, if you can please!
this is a pre-dental forum
perhaps you could search for a pre-hygiene forum
or google "how to become an RDH"...

Its my first year in college so I am open to any advice about dental hygienist even dental, its fine.
if you are interested in dental, perhaps you could start with the "how to get into dental school" guide available on this forum...

You don’t need an RDH degree to become a dentist. Any degree will do.

If you want to become an RDH, do a little homework online, or search for a program near you and go speak with admissions. They’ll tell you what you need to do. It’s relatively straight forward since it’s an associates or bachelors degree so you shouldn’t need too many things outside of prereqs and shadowing