You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Majors
Started by Flockey11
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bio major/psych minor
biology secondary education
biology secondary education
Same! And I thought I was unique, hah.
Biology with minors in Chemistry and Anthropology.
psychology and english
psychobiology 😀
athletic training
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Athletic Training.. to be honest I really am not interested in a lot of what is involved with this major but it is preparing me so well for my transition to PT school
Biology with a dual minor in Chemistry and Spanish.
History!!
Athletic Training.. to be honest I really am not interested in a lot of what is involved with this major but it is preparing me so well for my transition to PT school
There's a decent amount of overlap between athletic training/PT, so don't knock it. IE: prevention, evaluation (hx, palpation, special tests, MMT, etc.), anatomy and physiology knowledge, principles of rehabilitation, therapeutic modalities, return to play criteria (similar to dc parameters), functional testing, SOAP notes and abbreviations, budgeting. these are just things I can think of off the top of my head. Granted, PT will go much more in depth with many of these areas. AT will go more into things like taping/bracing/wrapping, responding to athletics related emergencies, and concerns over treating different positions (like how to tape a receivers thumb vs a linemans).
What was it you were not so interested in? For me, I knew after a while that I didn't want to be dealing with bloody noses and taping cheerleaders wrists all day. That, and I'd much rather rehab a tib/fib compound fracture than deal with the initial injury (just an example).
Last edited:
Environmental Biology and Biochemistry with a minor in Geographical Information Systems
😀
wow!
There's a decent amount of overlap between athletic training/PT, so don't knock it. IE: prevention, evaluation (hx, palpation, special tests, MMT, etc.), anatomy and physiology knowledge, principles of rehabilitation, therapeutic modalities, return to play criteria (similar to dc parameters), functional testing, SOAP notes and abbreviations, budgeting. these are just things I can think of off the top of my head. Granted, PT will go much more in depth with many of these areas. AT will go more into things like taping/bracing/wrapping, responding to athletics related emergencies, and concerns over treating different positions (like how to tape a receivers thumb vs a linemans).
What was it you were not so interested in? For me, I knew after a while that I didn't want to be dealing with bloody noses and taping cheerleaders wrists all day. That, and I'd much rather rehab a tib/fib compound fracture than deal with the initial injury (just an example).
Well, I like athletic training as my undergraduate study for all of those reasons. The background in eval., functional anatomy, rehab and all of it are gonna put me at such an advantage for PT school. What I meant when I said I didn't like a lot of what is involved with the major was all the clinical hours associated with it. I am responsible for 150 hours a semester (at 18 creds over 16.) mostly nights and weekends with travel following some sports team around and handing out water bottles. Also, the athlete population is not one I'm sure I wanna work with as a PT. Other than that it's great and would recommend it as an undergraduate pathway. Even things as simple as all the patient interaction goes a long way or so I've heard. Palpations for the first time can be difficult too.
I was fortunate enough to find a six year program ATC/DPT so even if I absolutely hated AT I would probably do it.
Well, I like athletic training as my undergraduate study for all of those reasons. The background in eval., functional anatomy, rehab and all of it are gonna put me at such an advantage for PT school. What I meant when I said I didn't like a lot of what is involved with the major was all the clinical hours associated with it. I am responsible for 150 hours a semester (at 18 creds over 16.) mostly nights and weekends with travel following some sports team around and handing out water bottles. Also, the athlete population is not one I'm sure I wanna work with as a PT. Other than that it's great and would recommend it as an undergraduate pathway. Even things as simple as all the patient interaction goes a long way or so I've heard. Palpations for the first time can be difficult too.
I was fortunate enough to find a six year program ATC/DPT so even if I absolutely hated AT I would probably do it.
Your last sentence scares me. Let me know where you will be doing AT work so I can bookmark it as a place NOT to get treatment!
Your last sentence scares me. Let me know where you will be doing AT work so I can bookmark it as a place NOT to get treatment!
Just because I'm not in love with taping ankles and treating wounds (especially when it conflicts so much with my studying) doesn't mean I do not provide the best possible care I can with the well being of my patients always my top priority.
Kinesiology w/ conc. in human movement science
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was Kinesiology with a specialization in Exercise Science. I think it's very useful for PT, however I wish I had done AT so that I could work in a more directly related field before PT school.
BS in public health. In my opinion nobody should be too concerned with majoring in something that is related to physical therapy, or something that you think will give you an advantage. The reason for PT school is to teach you what you need to know to be a PT. A similar example is law school. Law schools pick diverse undergrads and do not favor pre-law programs because they like to teach students the law from square one. I'm not trying to put anyone down, if you like sports science then go for it. But I am saying that if you love something like political science or art, but decide on sports science because you think it will give you a better chance of getting in, I would argue that you should go with what you love.😱
Anthro b.s.
Dance
Hey, did you take Dance kinesiology?Dance
Mine was Health Sciences
Communication Studies major, dance minor, psychology concentration (basically a minor).