Make a wish foundation.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Van Chowder

Go big or go home.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was doing some of my volunteer work yesterday, and I had the opportunity of helping out in the immunocomprimised(spelling?) unit, which really opened my eyes. The hospital is a childrens hospital, and the unit consisted of many children that have some form or another of cancer. I over heard one of the girls talking to her twin brother ( they were abaout 14 ) about what her wish would be for the make a wish foundation. ( She wanted a '10 Camaro, haha but knew she wouldn't get it, so then wished for a room make over).
Prior to this experience I am ashamed to admit, I had not thought twice about the Make a wish foundation. As soon as I got home I donated what little money I could.

All in all what Im saying is, we all aspire to be doctors one day hopefully to be able to help the ill get better. We can start here, and help those that are not as fortunate as us, for we have our health and they do not. :(

http://www.wish.org/help

Remember, any little thing helps.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

wow. maybe someone can get her a miniature =). good of you to do what you can.

wonder how quickly this thread will degenerate into yet another shouting match between the (supposed) idealists vs pragmatists

edit: did you give her a thumbs up for wanting a domestic car? =)

wow. maybe someone can get her a miniature =). good of you to do what you can.

wonder how quickly this thread will degenerate into yet another shouting match between the (supposed) idealists vs pragmatists

edit: did you give her a thumbs up for wanting a domestic car? =)

haha I did not! I will though next time I see her lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are lots of great foundations out there. Unfortunately us med students and pre-meds really don't have a lot of cash to spend right now let alone donate

Volunteering your time is usually the best you can do right now.

I'm glad you had a great experience.

Volunteering your time is usually the best you can do right now.

I agree with that. I volunteered for Make-A-Wish in NY and it was a really great experience. You have to be 21 to really be able to dive in as a wish granter, but younger volunteers can help with promotional events and fundraisers. I would encourage anyone with an interest to get involved - it can be as large or as small of a time commitment as you want.