making a marriage work during surgical residency?

Started by dr barb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dr barb

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do married people make it through the long surgical residency? Do surgeons whose spouses don't work and just take care of the family fare better than those married to someone with a full-time job? Or does a stay-at-home spouse become more likely to be frustrated at the hours you spend at the hospital?
 
I would say that most general surgeons do eventually get married. Looking at my attendings, I can think of maybe 2 that aren't married out of around 40. At the resident level, most of the chiefs are married, and probably 1/2 of the program overall. (These are just estimates, I'd have to sit down and count them up if you want specific numbers). I know of 1 divorce in my program that happened very early (the spouse didn't even travel with them to the program) so I'm not sure that I would necessarily attribute it to surgery per se.

On another thread I posted a citation from NEJM about divorce in medicine and about 1/3 of marriages that included a surgeon ended in divorce for that cohort (JHU med grads) While that may seem high, it does mean that 2/3 of marriages made it, so you do have 2:1 odds of making it.

Marriage in residency can be difficult with long hours and heavy fatigue and the emotional stress that comes with it, however, I'd say that few people break up purely because of residency, however, it will definitely accentuate any problems that the relationship already has. As far as a stay-at-home spouse or a working spouse, I have seen both be successful without problems. I think it has much more to do with the temperament of the spouse. I would say, that personally I think the most important thing is for them to stay busy. It is almost cruel to strand someone in a new city without friends and have them stay inside the house all the time. They need to get out to make some friends, perhaps through a spouses' club at the hospital, perhaps local charities, perhaps the PTA, or a paying job. Lonely people are miserable, and miserable spouses make for miserable residents.
 
Originally posted by dr barb
How do married people make it through the long surgical residency? Do surgeons whose spouses don't work and just take care of the family fare better than those married to someone with a full-time job? Or does a stay-at-home spouse become more likely to be frustrated at the hours you spend at the hospital?

Hi there,
I call my significant other when I am on call. He really doesn't mind the time that I spent at the hospital as long as I am not taking him for granted. I make sure that I schedule time for things that we can do together and I constantly remind him of the reasons that I love him.

Now that my PGY-1 year has come to an end, he is looking forward to spending more time with me. I am not spending as much home time studying as I did at the beginning of my PGY-1 year. I tend to keep my home as my refuge from the hospital and I try to keep work-related study to a minimum there.

He loves being a stay-at-home spouse to be. He has a home business that occupies most of his day. We chose our home location where there were plenty of lakes and jogging trails for activities that he enjoys.

He hates spending time with the departmental social events because my colleagues and I have a tendancy to talk too much "shop". He loathes the black tie affairs that are command appearances but he did enjoy our department chairman's fly fishing event. After he had spent time as a reporter covering political events, the black-tie stuff is too "rubber chicken" for him.

Most of the spouses and significant others begin to have difficulty when they are not included in a major part of your life. The stress of work can take a major toll on your relationship too. Believe me, I would rather be at home than hanging around the hospital. Most of us leave very quickly when the work is done. "The longer you stay at the hospital, the longer you are at the hospital". Get out of there!

njbmd😎
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just starting residency, but I am really not worried about my marriage having problems. Yes, residency is more consistently demanding than school, but I think how your significant other deals with you being wrapped up in work or study even in med school will give you a good indicator of how it will be in residency.

Your spouse must have other interests besides you. They need other friends, activities, hobbies, to keep them entertained when you are not around. It won't work if they are dependent on you for their social life b/c you won't have much social life during certain busy months or maybe thru most of residency.

You should discuss your choice of specialty, location, and rank list with your spouse in depth. It's a decision you both should agree on from the start if you want to be happy.
 
This is a good discussion with good advice. I've wondered whether or not to include people we date/ s.o.'s/ spouses when doing things with the department. On one hand, I don't want to leave him out, but on the other hand, I don't want him to feel more left out when we start talking shop.

I haven't decided how to handle this yet (we have our first party during orientation next week)- maybe I'll wait until I get to know some of my fellow residents a bit better before bringing one of my dates 🙂
 
foxxy, good question! If it's just a date (not a serious long-term relationship), it's probably easier to leave them home and go out with them another night. But, if it's someone you are really involved with, I'd think you should bring them along. You'll spend more time with your fellow residents than your significant other in the next 5 years, so I'd think your significant other would like to at least have some idea of who these people are.

Plus, it might be good to have more non-residents around so you are forced to talk about things other than work when you are at social events.