Making Anki Flashcards vs. Using Premade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadScientist95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I have just recently started to use anki a little each day for board studying. I am using premade decks because I feel as if I do not have the time to actually make my own. My question is how necessary would you say it is to make your own? Can I adequately obtain the information I need for step 1 by just using premade decks? I will also note this is not my only resource. I am just using it for spaced repetition from things I learn from pathoma/BoB/first aid. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The only time people make their own is usually when doing UWorld. They make cards for their incorrects and anything they deem to be important information. So no, making cards is not necessary and yes, you'll be able to retain everything you need for step with premades.

Reactions: 1 users
personally, I'm in favor of making your own cards. unless you have a very weak knowledge base, the pre-made decks will be WAY too many cards and you will ultimately end up wasting time. if you do it correctly, the process of making cards will lead to even better retention, as well

Reactions: 1 user