making diol from alkene?

Started by Verduchi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Verduchi

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When making a diol group from an alkene the addition of the two hydroxyl groups is considered an oxidation or addition reaction?
 
Yes they are not mutually exclusive. Both are occurring in that reaction. But if I were explaining it, I would use the term oxidation of an alkene to produce a diol before I said addition of two hydroxyl groups.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're correct. Depending on the starting material, the product could be either ketone and/or aldehyde.

If the starting material is a secondary alcohol, fully oxidized product would be ketone. Primary alcohol fully oxidized would be a carboxylic acid. You can use a reagent such as Dess Martin Periodane to partially oxidize a primary alcohol to aldehyde