Making friends in med school while living solo in M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southwestpremed06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may sound silly but is anyone else worried about making friends while living alone? My school has a place where a lot of first year students live together but I decided to live alone in a quiet neighborhood about 10 minutes away. This is important for me since staying in the dorms my freshman year in college had a bad effect on my grades. I love to hangout but at the same time I wanted to have a peaceful space to come home to where I can concentrate on personal stuff instead of running into classmates all the time. But now I'm worried I isolated myself from the social scene. I'm moving to a new city where I won't know anybody so making friends is really crucial.

Members don't see this ad.

The school I’m starting at in a few weeks is the same way, most students live in a building across the street but I decided to live solo a few miles away. I also wanted to be able to have my own place to come back to and focus on work. I just plan to socialize as much as I can while on campus / try to hang out with people off campus. But in the end, it’s med school, I’m here to learn, if keeping my grades up means my social life takes a small hit, it’s not the end of the world to me

Reactions: 1 users
OP I think we're the exact same person lol. After a lot of deliberation I decided to live alone in a new city for M1. If you're worried about making friends and staying involved socially, there are a lot of interest groups I'm sure you can join and volunteering opportunities (free clinics, etc). That's what I plan on doing. But I do think if you make an effort to make friends it will happen :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I lived alone and didn't find it difficult at all to make friends. You may have some time in M1 to socialize but don't be afraid to say no to going out. Choose your friends wisely. These will be the people you may end up studying with (or around) and it helps being able to talk through concepts with other motivated individuals

Reactions: 3 users
I lived alone and didn't find it difficult at all to make friends. You may have some time in M1 to socialize but don't be afraid to say no to going out. Choose your friends wisely. These will be the people you may end up studying with (or around) and it helps being able to talk through concepts with other motivated individuals
I wish I lived alone and wish I was better about picking my friends. Don’t just jump into reviewing with whoever reaches out first. Often they’re looking to leech.

Reactions: 1 user
If you’re an average, likable person, you’ll make friends. Just like every other situation. With that, you’ll probably find that you don’t want to be friends with most of your class.

Reactions: 3 users