Making friends once school starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreviDent

Reaction score
Hey guys! Incoming D1 here and I was wondering how it usually goes for the first week of classes.

So obviously in undergrad everyone usually sits in the same spots all year long. But for dental school everyone's meeting each other for the first time and you get to talking in little groups when everyone's curious. So it seems like whichever people you start talking with are the ones you'll probably be sitting with that first day.

But since everyone has the same classes do you just... sit with them for every class after that for the day? Is it strange if I don't really want to hang out with those people and sit with other people? And if you stay in the same seat once school gets into the rhythm of that first week, do you end up with the same people for mostly the entire first semester?

I guess I'm just curious because in undergrad everyone has different schedules and I maybe shared 3 of the same classes max with any given friend. So I guess I'm just wondering how friendships and acquaintances form in these new situations where we all know we're together for 4 years.

Not as much looking for advice, but just personal experiences for how everything happened for you guys.

I'm probably overthinking this haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Some people will sit together the first week and stay friends the whole way. Some will meet through common interests like culture, religion, studying, hobbies, etc. I barely talk to anyone in class or even show up most of the time, so my interaction with friends is mostly outside of class. I actually made it a goal at the beginning of school to talk to a new/different person in our class each day. Now I don't care, but it helped to get to know everyone.

The people I was close with at the start of school aren't the people I'm close with now. Friend groups in dental school shift around a lot at the beginning, and you start to find the people you really get along with by the end of the first year. Personally, I like going out to bars and music events, so the people who were always down to hang out or who I often saw out became my best friends.

Hey guys! Incoming D1 here and I was wondering how it usually goes for the first week of classes.

So obviously in undergrad everyone usually sits in the same spots all year long. But for dental school everyone's meeting each other for the first time and you get to talking in little groups when everyone's curious. So it seems like whichever people you start talking with are the ones you'll probably be sitting with that first day.

But since everyone has the same classes do you just... sit with them for every class after that for the day? Is it strange if I don't really want to hang out with those people and sit with other people? And if you stay in the same seat once school gets into the rhythm of that first week, do you end up with the same people for mostly the entire first semester?

I guess I'm just curious because in undergrad everyone has different schedules and I maybe shared 3 of the same classes max with any given friend. So I guess I'm just wondering how friendships and acquaintances form in these new situations where we all know we're together for 4 years.

Not as much looking for advice, but just personal experiences for how everything happened for you guys.

I'm probably overthinking this haha.

It's going to be much easier making friends. Really the whole class becomes great friends because you'll all be stressed and working hard together. Join their facebook page if they have one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually people get together for a drink/hang right before and after the orientation day to get a feel for each other and form cliques. Upperclassmen usually throw a welcome party around this time too during which couples typically form (both intra- and inter-). And cliques are solidified during orientation and the first two three weeks of class. Such cliques rarely dissolve in the four years. More often than not jocks stick with jocks, Mormons stick with Mormons, Asians stick with Asians, older career switchers stick with other career changers, and hot girls stick with other hot girls...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I met most of my good friends during second year. You'll spend more time with your class during that year, more so than family, for better or for worse.

I'd focus more on establishing good habits and if theres time, do your class hang outs whenever possible.

I'm sure each person has different experiences. During the first few weeks everyone is trying to get to know everyone. I don't know how many times I had to reask people their names ha. The more people you get to know the better I say. I'm not an extrovert, but it was really easy getting to know 110 students I spend all day everyday with. As school progresses, its really nice to know who has what skills...great at drilling, good at taking notes, the best at restorations, blah blah blah. So when you have a tough time you know who to go to for advice. 9 times out of 10 they'll be willing to help out however they can. To your seat concern...some classes will be assigned seats and some won't. You aren't locked in if you sit with a certain group for a little at all. I'm in my second year and I do have a normal crew I sit by, but can sit with a few different groups whenever I want without making anyone mad or starting drama lol. Good luck! Congrats on getting in. Its a fun ride with lots of ups and downs.

Usually people get together for a drink/hang right before and after the orientation day to get a feel for each other and form cliques. Upperclassmen usually throw a welcome party around this time too during which couples typically form (both intra- and inter-). And cliques are solidified during orientation and the first two three weeks of class. Such cliques rarely dissolve in the four years. More often than not jocks stick with jocks, Mormons stick with Mormons, Asians stick with Asians, older career switchers stick with other career changers, and hot girls stick with other hot girls...
LOL at "older career switchers"

Reactions: 1 user
Don't be weird and don't try to screw other people over.