Making student loan payments via credit card

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UserNameNeeded

SOS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone currently in repayment of their student loans that is using their credit card to make the payments to earn airline miles, cash back, rewards points, etc. in the process?

Do either Direct Loans (www.dl.ed.gov) or Direct Consolidation Loans (loanconsolidation.ed.gov) accept credit card payments?

Do any of the student loan servicers (e.g., Great Lakes, North Star, etc.) accept credit card payments?
 
Is anyone currently in repayment of their student loans that is using their credit card to make the payments to earn airline miles, cash back, rewards points, etc. in the process?

Do either Direct Loans (www.dl.ed.gov) or Direct Consolidation Loans (loanconsolidation.ed.gov) accept credit card payments?

Do any of the student loan servicers (e.g., Great Lakes, North Star, etc.) accept credit card payments?

When I looked into this, the answer was yes, you can do it, but they charge a fee for it that effectively negates your rewards.
 
When I looked into this, the answer was yes, you can do it, but they charge a fee for it that effectively negates your rewards.

I'm thinking of putting my high interest ~10K loan on my 2% cash back credit card come december when it is due (and I have the cash to pay it off..)

My private lender will charge $75 for the transaction. I'll get $200 cash back from my card, so net $125. That's $125 I wouldn't have if debited from my checking, and I'm planning on using it to celebrate the paying of my crappiest loan.😀

Who knows, maybe there will be some random hitch, though....