Making sure the research topic is "new"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jackofknives

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m planning to do some “independent” research in the near future and I have a few topics in mind. However, if you guys could enlighten me a little, how would I find out that the topic hasn’t been done before or as detailed? I’d rather not reinvent the wheel…

Thanks
 
Look in the literature for similar studies. Start with something vague and work towards more specific searches (similar to your hypothesis).

Also look for differences between what you're interested in and what the literature has done - you want to look at the effects of drug x on kids, and it's already been studied in adults, then you may have grounds for continuing your study, especially if you think it works on some fundamental difference between the two populations.