Making thanksgiving thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borne_before

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an homage to the smoking meats thread… drop some bomb recipes and plans.

I’m gonna do a turkey sous vide and then grill to crisp up the skin.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
We usually go away to a an inn in New Hampshire, but not this year. I will be our first Thanksgiving at home as a whole family in years. Got a turkey breast and small ham. I requested and will make a favorite side from when I was a kid- creamed corn casserole with Ritz Cracker crust. Wife and daughter really wanted a pumpkin casserole with mini marshmallow topping (ewwww!). We each independently gave our top three pie choices. Coconut cream was the big winner, with chocolate cream and apple rounding out the list. Holiday cocktails this year will be a cranberry-maple bourbon smash and an espresso martini. I am so psyched to have a holiday and multiple days off at home, with everyone here.

We've got a family and Friendsgiving happening at our place. We're taking care of the bird, ham, and a few other things, and other guesta will be bringing some desserts/sides. I usually make some homemade eggnog, but I should prep another cocktail or two.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We usually go away to a an inn in New Hampshire, but not this year. I will be our first Thanksgiving at home as a whole family in years. Got a turkey breast and small ham. I requested and will make a favorite side from when I was a kid- creamed corn casserole with Ritz Cracker crust. Wife and daughter really wanted a pumpkin casserole with mini marshmallow topping (ewwww!). We each independently gave our top three pie choices. Coconut cream was the big winner, with chocolate cream and apple rounding out the list. Holiday cocktails this year will be a cranberry-maple bourbon smash and an espresso martini. I am so psyched to have a holiday and multiple days off at home, with everyone here.
Very interested in this bourbon cocktail of you have a go to recipe!

What's the appeal of a coffee martini? I've never tried one. What's your recipe? I'm intrigued.

And when I say i'm gonna sous vide a turkey - I wont be doing the whole bird. I

I’m actually gonna spatchcock the turkey ala
Kenji lopez alt.

Do it. Praise KL-A for all that he does (he has never led me astray).
In my heart, I love Alton Brown for bringing a scientific rigor and openness to cooking, but some his recipes are so involved. Kenji on the other hand is also rigorous but so much more approachable.

In my heart, I love Alton Brown for bringing a scientific rigor and openness to cooking, but some his recipes are so involved. Kenji on the other hand is also rigorous but so much more approachable.
He's got a good book and seriouseats blog that dumbs it down enough for many cooking techniques. We've had some good KL-A Thanksgivings over the years.

I was at the store and couldn’t believe food prices (I mostly let spouse do the shopping so I was unawares lol) I’ve been reading how prices are up but this was my first time seeing it. We’re okay but what are families doing that were already struggling?

I was at the store and couldn’t believe food prices (I mostly let spouse do the shopping so I was unawares lol) I’ve been reading how prices are up but this was my first time seeing it. We’re okay but what are families doing that were already struggling?

Yeah, I'm the shopper and the chef in our household, inflation in the grocery aisle has been no joke this year.

I made a lot today. Cranberry sauce from scratch, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, spicy sausage cornbread stuffing, corn pudding casserole, Cajun turkey (from Popeyes), and gravy (from Popeyes), plus some banana pudding cream pie, pecan pie, and pumpkin pie. And then I capped the night with some Pennsylvania Dutch eggnog ;)