1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Making the final decision between BU, JH, Columbia

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by health career, Apr 9, 2007.

1. health career

Other Health Professions Student
    Hi,
    I know some of these things have been posted already but I wanted some help as I try to make my final decision of where to go in the fall.

I was accepted into the Sociomedical Sciences department in health promotion at Columbia and the International Health MPH program at BU. I also just got into the MHS program at Johns Hopkins in the behavioral sciences and health education.

I am interested in international health but I have less than a year of experience, so that is why I applied to programs in health promotion and the the behavioral sciences at Columbia and JH because that is my other interest and I have done a lot of work with diabetes. However, I am having a tough time making a decision. Should I go for the MPH becuase it might look better than the MHS when applying for jobs? Should I go to a better ranked school liek columbia or JH?

I just went to BU, they were so nice there, and I really liked it becuase it seemed like I could concentrate in international health and social and behavioral sciences if I wanted..I liked the flexibility of the program and everyone seems to have good things to say about it. However, I am not quite sure if I want to work abroad when I graduate but the idea of going abroad for the practicum is very appealing to me.
    I am also wondering if I should have applied to the international health program at JH in social and behavioral interventions...but I haven't visited JH yet so I dont know what to think. Is it possible to switch programs there?

Meanwhile, the students and class I went to at Columbia were good and it seemed easy to get a job in NYC after the practicum. I wasn't sure if i loved the theory part of the health promotion track though but maybe when I was actually applying it it would be really interesting and it would give me good work skills.

i am also not sure where to live..i have family and friends in nyc, I live in dc currently, but really like boston the city (plus lots of job opportunities)

does anyone have any thoughts on these schools and programs? i have been really stressed out thinking about this decision.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.