Making the most out of biomed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akstylish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally decided to major in biomedical engineering because it seemed more useful than others. However, I'm still not happy about my major because once I become a dentist, all the biomed classes I'll have taken will be useless. I'd like to use my knowledge gained in college in the future. So, is it possible to work as both a dental engineer and dentist?

p.s.: does anyone know a good website about dental/tissue engineering?

Members don't see this ad.

Engineering is some really interesting stuff. While I won't be graduating with a BSE in bioengineering anymore, I certainly can't claim that my time doing BME was a waste.

I finally decided to major in biomedical engineering because it seemed more useful than others. However, I'm still not happy about my major because once I become a dentist, all the biomed classes I'll have taken will be useless. I'd like to use my knowledge gained in college in the future. So, is it possible to work as both a dental engineer and dentist?

p.s.: does anyone know a good website about dental/tissue engineering?

Most people won't use what they learned in undergad in their careers.

Members don't see this ad :)
as a former bioengineering major...i can tell you that having been in dental school for 7 months, i have forgotten how to do math...

the upper division bme classes are great. sure you may forget how to do fourier transforms or nonhomogenous partial differential equations, but i think the skills that you gain in engineering are unrivaled. you learn how to think more critically, and to analyze problem and derive solutions, something that isn't easily learned. you also learn how to understand and apply knowledge, rather than just memorize. so even though you may not be using the mathematical proofs you learned, bme is still a very valuable experience.

also, i fully plan to continue using some of the biomedical knowledge, especially if i go into research. mathematical modeling is huge in tissue engineering, and there are many d-schools that do joint research with the engineering school, so you'll be one of a kind in that respect.

but stick with it, you'll be happy you did so later down the line

i'm graduating with a degree in BME this may.. and i totally understand what you mean..

sure it's cool to learn how to actually BUILD an ECG machine in addition to learning how to read them, etc. but a lot of times i think to myself... when the heck will i EVER need to build an ECG machine as a dentist?? or even use one haha

BUT... tissue engineering really is changing dentistry, so if you want to get involved in research, BME can be very relevant to your dental career.

i have mixed feelings about my experience as a BME student. it's bittersweet.
one thing that's nice about having been an engineering student is that i can now go for a very very long time without sleeping. haha... literally days... thanks to all those problem sets in like every single class... :smuggrin: