PhD/PsyD Making waves as an intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope! It is like diversity stuff that gets a day of discussion in a handful of classes. I had to seek out additional information myself.

Members don't see this ad.

I think "older" vs "obsolete" doesn't get explained well during training in a lot of places. They hand us the ethical guidelines, tell us to read them, and hope someone will do the hard part of explaining the nuance and gray of the situation.

The issue with ethical guidelines is that there are few hard black/white areas. Don't sleep with a patient, don't commit insurance fraud. Most other things are grey areas.

The issue with ethical guidelines is that there are few hard black/white areas. Don't sleep with a patient, don't commit insurance fraud. Most other things are grey areas.
I agree. It doesn't always get taught that way, unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope! It is like diversity stuff that gets a day of discussion in a handful of classes. I had to seek out additional information myself.

Yikes, that sucks. We had to read the various sets of ethical guidelines across the field and discuss various scenarios for an entire semester.

Yikes, that sucks. We had to read the various sets of ethical guidelines across the field and discuss various scenarios for an entire semester.

I had to as well. I do believe that APA accreditation board allowed for both ways.

It is unfortunate. It might explain why there is a section of the Missouri "General Rules" that specifies six different categories of how we cannot "interact" with our clients. Someone couldn't, with their own judgement, figure out that tongues still count.

It is unfortunate. It might explain why there is a section of the Missouri "General Rules" that specifies six different categories of how we cannot "interact" with our clients. Someone couldn't, with their own judgement, figure out that tongues still count.

Do you not use your tongue to dx PTSD by licking clients? How else are you supposed to gauge if they are really sweating?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Wow, yeah. If I'm remembering correctly, I think we had two separate semester-long courses for diversity and ethics. Or maybe they were combined into a single class (i.e., ethics and diversity), which isn't necessarily ideal, but beats just trying to shoehorn all that in to other classes (which ideally should already also be covering ethical and diversity factors).

RE: tests, there are still plenty of folks who use the MMPI-2 in medicolegal evals and seem to do just fine with it.

I’m currently in a semester-long ethics class and had a semester of diversity last year. It feels like it should be the bare minimum to be prepared to practice independently

I wish APA-acred. would toss any reference to projective assessments and double down on pharmacology, ethics, and diversity....bc those three areas will come up MUCH MORE OFTEN than trying to "interpret" someone's scribbles.

Reactions: 2 users
I think our school relied on the fact that we were all overachievers and desperate to be perceived as competent in all things. It must work most of the time.

As far as personality assessment courses, my program had one semester-long course for projective assessment, one for Rorschach, and one for objective assessment we all had to take. I then became a TA the following year for Rorschach.

As far as personality assessment courses, my program had one semester-long course for projective assessment, one for Rorschach, and one for objective assessment we all had to take. I then became a TA the following year for Rorschach.

You'll never get those two semesters of your life back.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You'll never get those two semesters of your life back.

What's funny is, one of the prac sites I did in neuro back in Miami (at a well known AMC) loved to use both objective and projective assessments in their flexible battery. Another site I was at for neuro-rehab used Rorschach in their battery as well.

What's funny is, one of the prac sites I did in neuro back in Miami (at a well known AMC) loved to use both objective and projective assessments in their flexible battery. Another site I was at for neuro-rehab used Rorschach in their battery as well.

I'm curious how that was used in neuro-rehab.

I'm curious how that was used in neuro-rehab.

I can think of one case where there was a teenager who had a history of mTBI but was involved in the legal system (we did a lot of legal work there too), and in addition to the MMPI, they used the Rorschach to assist with conceptualizing the person's antisocial tendencies that they were attributed to the injury, thus, trying to tie that to the antisocial behavior of that person did not exist prior to their injury. I forget the rest of their rationale, but that comes to mind.

Semester long ethics class and we covered that older version was not necessarily unethical. We also had a diversity class that was a semester long. The ethics class was great and the instructor was exceptional and had been part of the board hearing ethics complaints and had been directly involved in the Tarasoff case. Love it when the material being taught is coming directly from the sources.

My program required a semester course in ethics that was taught by the author/co-author of many of the leading ethics/risk management texts in psychology. We also had a required two-semester sequence in multicultural/diversity issues that was given in the first year of the program.