-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Male/Female Admissions
Started by cedriccj3
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Don't believe so - the ratio of students is just representative of the ratio of applicants.
Disclaimer: What I am about to say is based on no actual factual information.
It was always my impression that because the admissions statistics are so skewed, but schools dont want to have entirely female classes, it might be slightly easier for males to gain admission.
It is easy to find male/female ratio statistics for accepted students, so it would be interesting to see the actual male/female ratios in the application pool. Sadly I have never seen that statistic. Maybe somebody else has it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Disclaimer: What I am about to say is based on no actual factual information.
It was always my impression that because the admissions statistics are so skewed, but schools dont want to have entirely female classes, it might be slightly easier for males to gain admission.
It is easy to find male/female ratio statistics for accepted students, so it would be interesting to see the actual male/female ratios in the application pool. Sadly I have never seen that statistic. Maybe somebody else has it.
for UW's 2012 class, around 20% of applicants were males, and around 22% of invited students were males:
Applicant Statistics
Of course, this is just one school, and with a class size of 80 students, it really only takes a couple more or fewer guys to change the statistic. I think that, effectively, gender has not much to do with admissions.
Of course, this is just one school, and with a class size of 80 students, it really only takes a couple more or fewer guys to change the statistic. I think that, effectively, gender has not much to do with admissions.
In other words, I wouldn't count on it to bolster a weak application or substitute for poor GPA, GRE, experience, etc. I am not sure if that would even be statistically signifcant...it is a different of 1.6 people (16 would equal 20% while 17.6 would equal 22%)....I wonder who the 0.6 male is? j/k....likely that there are 18 males.
It's no secret that class sizes have fewer men than women...but fewer men apply than women. That said, I believe affirmative action (for lack of a better term) does play a role and I do think that it isn't as competitive for men to be accepted than it is for women. You still need to be a strong candidate, but my feeling is that if 2 people, one male and one female, with identical stats apply, the male will likely be offered a seat first. Just my 2 cents
It's no secret that class sizes have fewer men than women...but fewer men apply than women. That said, I believe affirmative action (for lack of a better term) does play a role and I do think that it isn't as competitive for men to be accepted than it is for women. You still need to be a strong candidate, but my feeling is that if 2 people, one male and one female, with identical stats apply, the male will likely be offered a seat first. Just my 2 cents
Agree.
MSU posts the male/female app stats on their site. For the 2012 admitted class, there were 708 female and 152 male applicants (95/14 admit ratio). I imagine there might be a slight advantage for male students, but who can say for sure?
I've considered this topic before too. UF also posts admission statistics by gender. For all applicants (IS & OOS) in the class of 2012, 29/173 males were offered spots, and 71/724 females were. So that's roughly 17% of male applicants and 10% of female applicants, for those of you who don't want to do the math. I know there's probably some statistical error or third axis or whatever that influences that, but it's still hard for me to look at the numbers and not think that guys have a better chance of getting into UF than women do.
Well that's assuming that the males weren't better than the females that they beat out. If there's an affirmative action type thing going on, then given the numbers, the males would definitely have an easier time getting in.
If they legitimately beat out the females, then they have no better or worse chance.
If they legitimately beat out the females, then they have no better or worse chance.
I know there's probably some statistical error or third axis or whatever that influences that, but it's still hard for me to look at the numbers and not think that guys have a better chance of getting into UF than women do.
You're also assuming that the species interests of males and females are evenly distributed... In my class, the guys are significantly more likely than the women to be entering production animal medicine. My school might have accepted relatively more male than female applicants to keep a good balance of species interests.
I think this is an interesting thought.
I once talked to an ad com who mentioned that in the past, women used to complain that men were harrassing them, but now they have men in their office complaining that women are harassing them.
I think that speaks to the difference that has occurred over time. I'm sure that if this forum had existed, a while ago, men would have been complaining that women had preference for entrance to veterinary school.
Personally, as a guy, I think that its not easier for guys to get in, rather I think that guys in veterinary medicine need to have a strong desire to be in this career because the competition with women is fierce. Personally I wouldn't have wanted to be in this field unless I knew I could compete.
Yeah, personally, I got into some good schools, and was very happy with my choices, but I was a well-rounded applicant, with some unique experiences. It had nothing to do with me being a guy in my opinion. Just my $0.02!
I once talked to an ad com who mentioned that in the past, women used to complain that men were harrassing them, but now they have men in their office complaining that women are harassing them.
I think that speaks to the difference that has occurred over time. I'm sure that if this forum had existed, a while ago, men would have been complaining that women had preference for entrance to veterinary school.
Personally, as a guy, I think that its not easier for guys to get in, rather I think that guys in veterinary medicine need to have a strong desire to be in this career because the competition with women is fierce. Personally I wouldn't have wanted to be in this field unless I knew I could compete.
Yeah, personally, I got into some good schools, and was very happy with my choices, but I was a well-rounded applicant, with some unique experiences. It had nothing to do with me being a guy in my opinion. Just my $0.02!
Interesting thread... Looks like UC Davis's stats are similar to DVMorBust's stats for UW. This year they accepted around 11.8% of all female applicants and 11.2% of all male applicants.
UC Davis Class of 2013
Gender: Applied Accepted
Female 930 110
Male 205 23
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/studentprograms/class_2013/pdfs/applicationstatistics.pdf
Also, just a side note, as far as I know, men are still in the majority in the profession as a whole (especially in certain fields: I believe, academia as well as certain specialties or areas of vet med). But not for long! It will be interesting to see how the profession as a whole changes over the next few years as the older generation continues to retire and the field as a whole becomes more and more female dominated.
UC Davis Class of 2013
Gender: Applied Accepted
Female 930 110
Male 205 23
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/studentprograms/class_2013/pdfs/applicationstatistics.pdf
Also, just a side note, as far as I know, men are still in the majority in the profession as a whole (especially in certain fields: I believe, academia as well as certain specialties or areas of vet med). But not for long! It will be interesting to see how the profession as a whole changes over the next few years as the older generation continues to retire and the field as a whole becomes more and more female dominated.
Last edited:
There will probably be a lot more drama.
Whoops, wrong thread!
😉
Whoops, wrong thread!
😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

There will probably be a lot more drama.
Whoops, wrong thread!
😉
Western students do rotations at my hospital and there are definitely more males than the 1:8 ratio which seems pretty common across the schools. I'd say at least a third of the students doing rotations are male.
Western students do rotations at my hospital and there are definitely more males than the 1:8 ratio which seems pretty common across the schools. I'd say at least a third of the students doing rotations are male.
The ratio across the board(country) is 4:1 female:male. Not sure where you got the 1:8?
At WI the ratio is 4:1 (20%). I have not seen an age breakdown for MN this year, but last year was about the same proportion. Also pretty close to the ratio M/F applying.
At WI the ratio is 4:1 (20%). I have not seen an age breakdown for MN this year, but last year was about the same proportion. Also pretty close to the ratio M/F applying.
Dang, between age and sex (not the act of 😍), you must be in the upper (or is it lower) percentile??? Either way, you are definitely way, way, way out of the box (no comment). 😀
.
.
.I just want to make sure that no one other then our SO's are complaining.
Dang, between age and sex (not the act of 😍), you must be in the upper (or is it lower) percentile??? Either way, you are definitely way, way, way out of the box (no comment). 😀
Top or bottom "percentile" I will take it either way. In my rarified position I will take what I can get. 😱
Last edited:
🤣
I could not find one with a halo on it, sorry.Similar threads
H
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 328
H
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 446
