Male - Natural Hair acceptable for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SandMan8841

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since I have seen a thread like this so I though I'd create a new one for the upcoming cycle. I am an AA male with medium length curly hair (about 8-9 inches long) and I was wondering if there were any acceptable hairstyles that would pass as "professional" and allow me to keep my length decent without having to shave it all off? My hair is very well kept and I really don't want to cut it off, but absolutely will if I have to. I don't want to risk being stereotyped so I will do whatever it takes. My only problem is that while some look clean with short hair, I end up looking like the peanut people from The Proud Family Movie, it doesn't event look right on me. Any general advice from future applicants or people who might have interviewed before would be appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Oh nooo, not the peanut people! I'm also a Black guy with natural, curly hair. About 9 inches - yes, I just got a ruler to figure that out. I interviewed with my hair out and matched into a competitive field. I felt like I should just be myself - I wanted to work with people that embrace me as I am, which to some extent includes how I wear my hair. I know India.Arie says, "I am not my hair," and I understand that. But I'm learning to like my natural hair, and it only took all of med school. I didn't feel like cutting it off, even though one of the attendings at my home institution suggested I shave it all off to appease the masses. HA! Follow your heart. Just make sure you feel comfortable and confident during the interview, no matter what you do.

Reactions: 2 users