male vs female derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiggabot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those who are practicing dermatologists:

Are there any challenges for a male dermatologist vs a female? When I was a student during a derm rotation, some of the women did not want me in the room while the female attending did a full body exam. I would imagine a male to care less about whether its a female or male doctor examining his skin. Out in private practice, does this mean males sometimes have a harder time building a patient base and getting referrals?

Members don't see this ad.

for those who are practicing dermatologists:

Are there any challenges for a male dermatologist vs a female? When I was a student during a derm rotation, some of the women did not want me in the room while the female attending did a full body exam. I would imagine a male to care less about whether its a female or male doctor examining his skin. Out in private practice, does this mean males sometimes have a harder time building a patient base and getting referrals?

The key is, if you're a male, when you walk into the room to greet a patient, you have to not wear your wiener and balls outside your pants. It creates an awkward aura that is difficult to recover from. It's possible, but it's just extra work.

The key is, if you're a male, when you walk into the room to greet a patient, you have to not wear your wiener and balls outside your pants. It creates an awkward aura that is difficult to recover from. It's possible, but it's just extra work.

Great...such a useful post, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

I heard Weiner resigned... is it just balls now, or have they replaced him?

I heard Weiner resigned... is it just balls now, or have they replaced him?

Lol, you people...this was meant to be a serious post! I really am wondering whether male dermatologists will have a difficult time building their patient base in competitive markets (ie bigger cities) vs female dermatologists. There is a shortage right now so it may not be a big a deal, but in the not so distant future that may not be the case.

I am a male and I would rather see a female dermatologist, and I feel like a female would prefer a female as well. Any practicing dermatologists out there with any insight?

Lol, you people...this was meant to be a serious post! I really am wondering whether male dermatologists will have a difficult time building their patient base in competitive markets (ie bigger cities) vs female dermatologists. There is a shortage right now so it may not be a big a deal, but in the not so distant future that may not be the case.

I am a male and I would rather see a female dermatologist, and I feel like a female would prefer a female as well. Any practicing dermatologists out there with any insight?

In reviewing your posting history, I would highly encourage you to NOT select a field based on gender (or Myers-Briggs test results or ease of entry into a big market or hours/week of studying required or income potential)

Pick it because you genuinely like it.

That passion drives you to become a better physician. And you want patients to choose you because they perceive you to be better, not because of your gender...

In reviewing your posting history, I would highly encourage you to NOT select a field based on gender (or Myers-Briggs test results or ease of entry into a big market or hours/week of studying required or income potential)

Pick it because you genuinely like it.

That passion drives you to become a better physician. And you want patients to choose you because they perceive you to be better, not because of your gender...

Easy for you to say if you happened to have had a rotation in a field that you feel passionate about. If someone weren't lucky like you, then your advice doesn't apply.

Plus, I have not had the chance to rotate through all the specialties, thus I am figuring which rotation to schedule in my limited remaining time. Location, income potential, personality correlation, residency stress...I think these are all valid and mulitfacted considerations. Do you have any better ideas?

Easy for you to say if you happened to have had a rotation in a field that you feel passionate about. If someone weren't lucky like you, then your advice doesn't apply.

Plus, I have not had the chance to rotate through all the specialties, thus I am figuring which rotation to schedule in my limited remaining time. Location, income potential, personality correlation, residency stress...I think these are all valid and mulitfacted considerations. Do you have any better ideas?

I would have to say that you are over thinking this whole process. Unfortunately, no one can rotate through all of the specialties. Income potential, personality correlation, and residency stress will vary widely even within a given specialty depending on the program and you your future goals. There comes a time when you just have to bite the bullet and pick a specialty you think you will enjoy. Hopefully then you find the right program. While not ideal, you can always change specialties.

I would have to say that you are over thinking this whole process. Unfortunately, no one can rotate through all of the specialties. Income potential, personality correlation, and residency stress will vary widely even within a given specialty depending on the program and you your future goals. There comes a time when you just have to bite the bullet and pick a specialty you think you will enjoy. Hopefully then you find the right program. While not ideal, you can always change specialties.

Yea, biting that bullet is tough. Does a job become a job after a while? Any truth in that, or is that just for those who hate their lives?

When I was a student during a derm rotation...

What are you doing now? Still in medical school or out in residency? Just curious...

Choosing your field should not be based on gender. That's my advice. Their are male OB/GYNs. Their are female urologists... It should be based on what you enjoy studying and working in. We are all life long learners. The job never becomes just a job if you make an effort to keep up with the new and all. There is always something on the horizon, therapy changes, new drugs hit the market, old drug leave the market. Every patient is unique and has a unique perspective on what we can do, realistic or not. Every day is a challenge in the clinic. You never know what is going to hit you in Dermatology. Anyhow, I can go on and on about Derm...

When you find your field you can go on and on about and read and read and keep climbing the never ending slope of learning, you have found your niche.

...this doesn't mean it is going to be easy, mind you.

Sorry, but Slim Shaddy just started up on my Mac, Curtain Call... "go play". L8rs. :cool:

Almost all the people prefer that their dermatologist was a woman. I think they are more comfortable than man. But as long as the male dermatologist will have a great work done, there's no issue regarding the gender of a dermatologist. :)

Yea, biting that bullet is tough. Does a job become a job after a while? Any truth in that, or is that just for those who hate their lives?

If a person is preconceiving that a "job will become a job," then I think you've headed down a path toward becoming jaded, or you went into it for reasons that have started to become empty very quickly. It's a dangerous slope to be on if you are headed down that path because I've have seen many jaded residents (usually out of dermatology but there are quite a few within derm too...) and they quickly become bad doctors.

What I hear is more a lack of passion for any field that you have tried so far...I'm sorry it's been that way. If you are going to let the male vs female deter you from an amazing field, then you are in trouble. You are going to come across challenges that are way more deep than the male vs female question...

Well as a male, I'll tell you that it has almost never been a problem to perform exams on females (except maybe a total of four times) including genitalia and full body skin exams. You have to be professional and carry yourself professionally. If you do, your patients could care less about your gender. Many of these women have said that they hope to see me again in their follow up. FYI...male patients also get a little shy about female docs when it comes down to a genitalia exam too...don't choose based on gender. If you really care about patients, it will show. Medical students are in a unique situation because you get kicked out of rooms more easily. However, when you are introduced as Dr. So and So, patients are not so quick to have you leave the room.

100% agree with sore eye asses .
Anyway, I don't want to make sexual discrimination but I think dermatology is for women. There are lot of reasons ... and in a few words sore eye asses told all of them.

Anyway, I don't want to make sexual discrimination but I think dermatology is for women. There are lot of reasons ... and in a few words sore eye asses told all of them.

I thought that post was a complete joke at first. Now that I reread it, I think sore eye asses very comically but accurately captured the point. Tis a real problem...I'm very naturally alpha male-ish, and when I try to not speak in a dominant tone, I sound distant and unengaged. What if I shoot for Mohs surgery...does that allow for more "male" behavior? I feel so lost in my life...

Last edited:
:thumbup:

Completely agree. That's why as a guy I want to go into it

Adina is entitled to an opinion but I totally disagree.......there are a lot of reasons.

Gotta say interesting discussion. His concern is somewhat true and I have seen some of my friends sharing the same concern