Malingered Psychosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych_0

Attending
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any other resources to read up on malingered psychosis outside of this older article by forensic legend Phil Resnick?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have but never faking psychosis.
Plenty of people fake psychosis. I've had folks come in and try to tell me about their "psychotic symptoms" and I find the more specific I get in my questioning the more general their symptoms become.

Reactions: 1 users
You should subscribe to JAAPL. Lots of great articles!

Reactions: 2 users
Plenty of people fake psychosis. I've had folks come in and try to tell me about their "psychotic symptoms" and I find the more specific I get in my questioning the more general their symptoms become.
Were they trying to fake it for a secondary gain?

After "Sixth Sense" came out, I saw a flurry of patients who saw the spirits of the dead, but not any more. I kind of miss it, it was fun hearing the descriptions of the ghosts.

After "Sixth Sense" came out, I saw a flurry of patients who saw the spirits of the dead, but not any more. I kind of miss it, it was fun hearing the descriptions of the ghosts.
This has been replaced by TikTok borderline personality disorder, bipolar, and DID (>1 billion views for each hashtag) not to mention Tourette's and Autism.

Reactions: 3 users
Dick Rogers' text on malingering is considered the gold standard. there is a chapter on psychosis by resnick but the chapters on response styles and psychometric testing are very helpful for more formal ways in which psychological testing is helpful. Amazon product

I've had people fake psychosis for Seroquel and other psychotropics with street value, or just admission to the hospital by combining "psychosis" with "suicidal".

I've had people fake psychosis for Seroquel and other psychotropics with street value, or just admission to the hospital by combining "psychosis" with "suicidal".
For me, the trifecta is SI, HI and AH. In my experience, roughly 80-90% of the time if they have all 3, they are malingering (or on substances).

*Just joking around, but there is some truth to the above.

For me, the trifecta is SI, HI and AH. In my experience, roughly 80-90% of the time if they have all 3, they are malingering (or on substances).

Ha! My experience is the same. If someone is legitimately sick and psychotic enough to have all three, they ain't linear enough to say it up front to the triage nurse.

Yup. In my experience I see more homocidal ideation in malingerers and drug seekers as opposed to those who have a legitimate psychosis.

Can remember as a trainee covering HDU on a weekend shift, and being asked by a patient for xanax, dexamphetamine and clonidine. The standard response to decline and direct him back to his home team on the following Monday was met with "I had to give it a shot."

Reactions: 1 user