Mall Whitening

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MnBr63

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in a mall the other day and I saw 3 girls wearing light blue scrubs holding clip boards in front of a kiosk for teeth whitening. Mad as I was, I was still very curious about this place. This article reminded me, almost exactly, of the conversation that I had with one of these "technicians."

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4900804&page=1

When I asked her what solution they used and if they had to be trained to do it she really said:
"Its hydrogen peroxide and we use a blue light with it. We didn't go through any training but its real weak so its approved with the FDA its okay for your teeth."

I also loved that since it was a kiosk in the middle of the mall there was no running water for, say.....anything that requires rinsing. Gotta love that the process is legal because the "patient" is doing it to themselves.
I can just see people now saying "My teeth are healthy. I just got them whitened at the mall."

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, that's gotta be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. I can't believe they're getting away with doing that in the mall. And I use 22% carbamide peroxide to bleach my teeth and that's super strong, so I wonder how how the hell they're using 30%.

Maybe I could start a booth like that at the mall to offset some of this debt? Honest, it's safe. Trust me. I'm going to be a dentist in 3 years provided I don't flunk my boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I could start a booth like that at the mall to offset some of this debt? Honest, it's safe. Trust me. I'm going to be a dentist in 3 years provided I don't flunk my boards.

ha..that reminds me of a story i read on the pre-med forum:

"So I'm umpiring a little league game today cause I had some down time when the pitcher gets drilled in the head by a line-drive from the batter, and he is instantly down. Not knocked out, just knocked down and in a lot of pain! So me and the other umpires rush to the kids side, his parents come from the stands, one of the coaches who's an EMT comes, etc.

Then about a minute later some kid who was about my age comes rushing onto the field, and pushes his way through all of us to look at the kid. This kid kneels by the player's head, and the EMT coach says, "Who are you?"

The kid looks him right in the eye, and says, "It's ok, don't worry, I'm a premed."

need a hand? i can like hand out flyers so the patients can do it themselves.
we can also get like an automatic uv light so we can't get shut down.

HAHA mnbr,
not sure if the rest of you get this, but some people i've told of my aspirations always say stuff like, "did you get your license yet, this tooth is hurting", or "i can't wait till your done so i can get these fixed" i just smile and laugh, thinking if you waited for me to get done you'd probably not have any teeth anymore :)

Oh wow!

I saw the same thing at the mall. I was pretty upset by the whole thing too. The tech. kept boasting about how it was only $99 and totally safe! The concept actually started in Europe and now its slowly creeping into the U.S....

Wow, that's gotta be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. I can't believe they're getting away with doing that in the mall. And I use 22% carbamide peroxide to bleach my teeth and that's super strong, so I wonder how how the hell they're using 30%.

hahaa. My sis did go to a dental office in Vietnam for teeth whitening, and they gave her 36% carbamide peroxide to bleach her teeth at home. wat the....? and I advised her to stop using it. I don't think it's safe when you use carbamide peroxide with a high concentration, but it can't make you die...hahhahahh

ha..that reminds me of a story i read on the pre-med forum:

"So I'm umpiring a little league game today cause I had some down time when the pitcher gets drilled in the head by a line-drive from the batter, and he is instantly down. Not knocked out, just knocked down and in a lot of pain! So me and the other umpires rush to the kids side, his parents come from the stands, one of the coaches who's an EMT comes, etc.

Then about a minute later some kid who was about my age comes rushing onto the field, and pushes his way through all of us to look at the kid. This kid kneels by the player's head, and the EMT coach says, "Who are you?"

The kid looks him right in the eye, and says, "It's ok, don't worry, I'm a premed."
lol
what did the EMT guy say?