Malpractice BEFORE med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowsnice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is something I was always curious about, but with an increase in non-traditional students, more applicants may work in the health field as a nurse, paramedic..etc. This may pose more risk to legal troubles for these applicants if let's say a paramedic is sued by a patient. Has anyone heard or know anyone who had to deal with liability before med school and did it effect that applicants chance of gaining admission?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I'm aware, when applying to med school you only have to disclose whether you have been in trouble with the governing body of a health profession. You don't need to disclose malpractice cases to a school...but you will to your insurance company. :/

I've been at this for 15+ years and I've never seen anyone disclose malpractice (which is a civil suit, not a criminal charge) on an application. And I have seen applications from nurses and EMTs. Civil suits for malpractice are common enough that many physicians, particularly in neurosurgery, OB, and ortho will be sued at least once in their careers, it is not so common that exposure for a year or two makes it likely to be sued.

Most applicants that could be sued are probably EMTs or Paramedics and that doesnt happen very often.