Malpractice & Tail Coverage

Started by MedEye
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MedEye

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm finishing my vitreoretinal surgery fellowship this year and I was wondering if someone could give an idea on the average cost for a malpractice insurance policy (claims-made and occurrence), and the cost of tail coverage if I decided to leave the practice.
Thanks
 
I'm negotiating a contract with a practice. They want the employee to pay the full cost of tail coverage if he/she leaves for any reason. The lawyer told me, based on the duration of work, it can be $10,000-15,000. I guess I can call their insurance carrier and ask.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The tail is usually 200% of your yearly mature premium, but I'm not sure what the current premiums are for retina specialists.