Malpractice ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MzzMisty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: I was wondering if anyone knows approx. per month malpractice insurance runs? If anyone could give a ballpark figure that would be great. Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had read somewhere off the net that for a Radiologist its like $20,000 a year. It is also going to depend where you live. Some companies actually pay that as a "incentive" when you sign on for an amount of time..
It seems kinda scary:eek: but you gotta have it, and if being a Doctor is what you truly want, its still worth it.
Hope this helps!
Good luck!:cool:

It doesn't help, and let me explain why:

1) Malpractice insurance is heavily specialty-dependant.

2) Malpractice insurance is heavily location-dependant, and very affected by state laws.

3) The structure of malpractice insurance varies based on the type of practice you run. You are making it sound like physicians simply pay their premiums out of their own pocket, but that is only true if you set up a solo practice. However, if you join an established group, the liability is spread out over the entire group. Depending on your circumstances, the group may even foot your portion of the premiums for a period of time as a "sign-on" bonus. If you join an HMO, depending on whether they self-insure or not, you may not have to pay any premiums directly.

Put malpractice insurance out of your mind, if you are a pre-med. I'm about to start residency, and have only a vague notion of how these things are done. It is not an appropriate concern to have at a premed level, because things are constantly changing, and you have no idea where, what, and how you will be practicing in 10-15 years when you finally get out there.

If it takes me 15 years to start practicing I think I'll be about ready to hang myself.

My thinking was along these lines:

Premed (not applied yet): 2-4 years of undergrad left
Med School: 4y
Residency (surgery, of course, since it's all that matters): 5-7y

Total time until practicing = 11-15 years

What will malpractice insurance cost in 2022? :smuggrin:

It will be free. We will be working in a universal/socialized medicine system and only make about 75k/year gross salary. :smuggrin:

Seriously though, i'm with you on the 5-7 year residency thing (which includes one or more fellowships). But not in surgery. I am looking at 4 med school plus 5 to 7 PG = 9 to 11 years. Yikes, it's still a friggin decade. Ah well. It will be worth it.

I'll worry about malpractice:

1. Somewhat when I get into med school;

2. Occasionally when I get into a residency;

3. Frequently when I get my first job as a practicing physician.

But I'm not going to worry about it right now. I have my MCAT in a month to worry about.

Thanks for all of your answers. I know that malpractice insurance will change by the time that I am a physician, I was just trying to figure out how the whole process works out. I guess I'll figure it out when I actually get there.

Thanks again. :D