managing HELLP syndrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medInUSA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a fourth year med student studying for Step 2 CK

I have come accross several different answers in the management of HELLP syndrome from different sources

some say Immediate delivery at any gestational age

others say give steroids and wait for lung maturity if less than 36 weeks gestational age

what is correct???

thank you so much, appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

as HELLP is a criteria falling into "severe preeclampsia',

the treatment is urgent delivery, i think.

Hi,

I am a fourth year med student studying for Step 2 CK

I have come accross several different answers in the management of HELLP syndrome from different sources

some say Immediate delivery at any gestational age

others say give steroids and wait for lung maturity if less than 36 weeks gestational age

what is correct???

thank you so much, appreciate it.

Babies less than 7 months are sometimes waited upon, usually because of mom being uncomfortable delivering premature. This only applies for more mild disease (similar blood pressure criteria as used in preeclampsia, not too anemic, not too thrombocytopenic)...However, for test purposed, 100% of the time the baby should be delivered regardless of gestational age...(These are usually early third trimester syndromes, so baby is often viable at this gestation thanks to modern medicine.)

IMO, you don't "manage" HELLP, you deliver the baby or prepare for death.

If waiting is an option, again IMO, you aren't dealing with true HELLP, just pre-eclampsia with minor elevations of LFTs and/or minor platelet reductionn. Once you hit true thrombocytopenia, there isn't an option.