Manhattan College?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I went to Manhattan College and obtained a 4.0 and basically just worked my tail off would it be possible to get into a good medical school? Another way I am looking at it is going to MC then transferring to NYU and doing my B.A's there. Would going to NYU give me more of an edge? Not because of the name because unless you go to an Ivy or some other comparable school, name means nothing, even at NYU I would imagine. I just don't want to go to Manhattan College and get straight A's and not get accepted to medical school. The only reason I am even considering it is because I don't think I will have the grades to get into NYU applying outright from HS. Any ideas/suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

If I went to Manhattan College and obtained a 4.0 and basically just worked my tail off would it be possible to get into a good medical school? Another way I am looking at it is going to MC then transferring to NYU and doing my B.A's there. Would going to NYU give me more of an edge? Not because of the name because unless you go to an Ivy or some other comparable school, name means nothing, even at NYU I would imagine. I just don't want to go to Manhattan College and get straight A's and not get accepted to medical school. The only reason I am even considering it is because I don't think I will have the grades to get into NYU applying outright from HS. Any ideas/suggestions?

Yes, as long as the rest of your application was also of a high caliber.

Not because of the name because unless you go to an Ivy or some other comparable school, name means nothing
Ivy's aren't the end-all, be-all of college education, you know. Name means a little bit, but it's almost insignificant in comparison with the rest of your application regardless of where you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ivy's aren't the end-all, be-all of college education, you know. Name means a little bit, but it's almost insignificant in comparison with the rest of your application regardless of where you go.
True. However I think if you went to Harvard then that would open just about any door that would otherwise remain closed if you went to a state school. With that said it doesn't matter too much to me because I cannot even get into an Ivy. Another school I am looking at is Ohio State-Columbus. It's up there with Rutgers-NB, U of Maryland, Penn State, etc. OSU has a lot of great majors too. Good research, etc.

Let me ask you guys another question. How good are Canadian medical schools? If I wanted to apply for a spot in a very competitive residency (Ortho, Neuro, etc..), would I be at a disadvantage if I went to McGill University for med school?

http://www.mcgill.ca/medicine/

I know it can be done because the FP I go to went to Fordham for UG then to the University of Rome for Med School then came back to the states.

My understanding is that Canadian medical schools are extremely difficult to get into, even for Canadians. I'd stick to the American schools.

However I think if you went to Harvard then that would open just about any door that would otherwise remain closed if you went to a state school.
That's probably true outside of medicine and possibly other professional health fields.

Agreed. A 3.0 at Harvard isn't going to cut it. Also, a word to the wise: Do not try to forecast your college career until you get into school. Also, don't go to a school thinking you'll transfer. You may fall in love with the school. By all means, you must keep an open mind.

Agreed. A 3.0 at Harvard isn't going to cut it. Also, a word to the wise: Do not try to forecast your college career until you get into school. Also, don't go to a school thinking you'll transfer. You may fall in love with the school. By all means, you must keep an open mind.

I actually meant getting between a 3.5-4.0. Obviously a 2.8-3.0 four year cruise isn't going to get you into medical school even if you went to Harvard for UG. I meant going to Harvard AND doing well not just coasting by with a halfway decent GPA.