Manual dexterity and steady hands?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trpng0bily

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you need to have excellent manual dexterity or super-steady hands to be a neurosurgeon? If so, are there any ways to improve in these areas?

Members don't see this ad.

etf said:
i would think that this is something you'd pick up with practice

Operating under the microscope is not easy. Some people have more trouble with it than others. There are those that are just naturally good at it. But most of this goes away with time. The best way to get good at microsurgery or any surgery for that matter is practice practice practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Steady hands are not a requirement and I've seen several decent neurosurgeons with much less than "super-steady hands". As mentioned prior, manual dexterity and steady hands makes delicate vascular work under the scope (clipping, bypasses, etc) much easier but maybe a little less exciting.

Vriesea said:
Steady hands are not a requirement and I've seen several decent neurosurgeons with much less than "super-steady hands". As mentioned prior, manual dexterity and steady hands makes delicate vascular work under the scope (clipping, bypasses, etc) much easier but maybe a little less exciting.

lmao... i think that's excitement the patient can do without