manual therapy

Started by ucd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ucd

Junior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just out of curiosity, on average how often does a PT use manual therapy (using fingers and hand) on a patient in a given day? Does PT have a high burn out rate similar to massage therapist b/c of the constant use of their hands. thanks
 
Just out of curiosity, on average how often does a PT use manual therapy (using fingers and hand) on a patient in a given day? Does PT have a high burn out rate similar to massage therapist b/c of the constant use of their hands. thanks

I have heard of such things occuring but our faculty ensured we utilize good support to minimize wear and tear. I rarely do any massage, I'll sometimes do an effleurage to improve lymphatic drainage with extremities but other than that I never have days where my hands ache. Just like other movements, you should let your larger body parts be the force producers and let the smaller body parts transmit/stabilize it.
 
Manual therapy is commonplace in all aspects of PT, although mostly in outpatient orthopedics. There are a ton of manual therapies utilized in PT and is not limited to soft tissue massage techniques. I use it a ton each day. In PT school, you are taught proper body mechanics to avoid overusing your hands and fingers.