March 10th Dartmouth interview -- essentially an interview for the waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatentGuy33

MetalMilitia
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received an invite for March 10th, which I have accepted. I asked the admissions assoc. dean about the status of the class (how full), and she "assured" me that my interview is for a real, bona fide, available seat. Somehow, I remain somewhat unconvinced, and think that this is essentially an interview for a position on the waitlist.

Anybody have any info that may shed some light as to how D'mouth's class is shaping up this year? Have any info --rumored, anecdotal, and/or first hand -- as to whether a mid-March interview can realistically hope for an accepance, given a "successful" interview, etc?

Obviously, I'm going to go to the interview no matter what (a slim chance being better than none, blah blah blah), but I just can't shake that "need-to-know" portion of my personality. Any info is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

RunMimi said:
I just called their office this morning, since I interviewed in *September* and have heard *nothing*. So annoying! They said they interview until the middle of March, so its not unusual that I haven't heard. All the same I think its a waitlist. A friend that interviewed on the same day already got her waitlist letter a while ago though. Weird. Anyways, my point is that I think you still have a shot at a real spot in the class. Good luck!

Thanks, Runmimi

When you interview at Dartmouth, you end up with a score. If your score is astronomically high, you can be accepted right away. If your score is just on the high side, you wait in a pile with other high scoring people. If you have a low score I imagine you could be rejected right away. If you have a score somewhere between high-->low, apparently they put you on the waitlist right away. I think the bulk of their interviewees hang out in that high scoring pile until sometime in March when the admissions committee looks at the whole pile and puts together a cohesive class. Once that's done, they send out the bulk of their acceptance letters.So I'd guess you're interviewing for a real seat in the class.
That said, I interviewed in October and haven't heard a word either. In fact, I only know one person who's been accepted at Dartmouth thus far.
I hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
How good do you think the Dartmouth Medical school is?? I am not convinced hat USNews tell the whole story on how good the school is. The hospital is definitely nice. However, the place is so rural.

Well, I know someone who is accepted to Dartmouth that is probably going to pass up their seat, so you might as well.

i have been accepted to the dartmouth-brown program but will most likely be withdrawing in the near future so they'll be at least one open spot...even if the class is at or near capacity, i'm sure there will be a lot of withdrawing going on in the coming weeks. good luck to the OP and those still waiting to hear!! :luck:

thanks Carlene!! the brown-dartmouth program is by far my top choice. i have not yet heard a word from either dartmouth or brown - which from reading this thread is a decently good thing - but it could only help if those that are not planning on attending withdraw. best of luck!! :D