March 2004 PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michele_107

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anybody take the PCAT in March 2004? I got a letter today saying they were scored wrong... Anybody else get this letter?

Members don't see this ad.

michele_107 said:
Did anybody take the PCAT in March 2004? I got a letter today saying they were scored wrong... Anybody else get this letter?

i took it in october 2005 and in november 2004 and i got the same letter.....i was like omgggg how can they screw up such an important thing!! anyway i plan on calling them tomorrow and yelling at them..........if my score in november 04 was higher than they told me i couldve just kept that score and probably might not have retaken it in october 05.....and they also said in the letter that now we can take our next pcat for free....what if i dont want to take it again....they should be refunding us for the one they screwed up not telling us to take it again for free!!! this is ridiculous!!

pharmD131 said:
i took it in october 2005 and in november 2004 and i got the same letter.....i was like omgggg how can they screw up such an important thing!! anyway i plan on calling them tomorrow and yelling at them..........if my score in november 04 was higher than they told me i couldve just kept that score and probably might not have retaken it in october 05.....and they also said in the letter that now we can take our next pcat for free....what if i dont want to take it again....they should be refunding us for the one they screwed up not telling us to take it again for free!!! this is ridiculous!!

I know! I freaked out when I first read it. I thought it was gonna be a really huge difference in the scores and I would lose my acceptance, but it didn't really affect my score THAT much. And, yeah I don't want to take it again either, even if it is free! :laugh:

The only GOOD thing is:

* If you are the one who took PCAT on or PRIOR to October 2004, and if you are INTERESTED to Re-take PCAT, then you are entitled to a FREE one.

If not, then, forget it.

However, any PCAT that was one year old is history. No one uses it.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the same letter and called them. The PCATs were scored CORRECTLY, but the scores they reported to the schools were 2-4% lower than what your actual score was.

This makes me livid!!!!! To think that the schools I applied to had sub-par pcat scores for me really makes me mad. It had to negatively affect our chances for admission. Thank god I got accepted!

I don't really think that offering a free re-take will make anyone feel any better... especially if they didn't get accepted because of that mistake.

The recent change of the PCAT's format means that newer tests would have to be evaluated differently from older tests. However, I don't think you'll necessarily be penalized for having taken the old PCAT. It just depends on the school as to whether or not they will accept an older score.

aya01 said:
The recent change of the PCAT's format means that newer tests would have to be evaluated differently from older tests. However, I don't think you'll necessarily be penalized for having taken the old PCAT. It just depends on the school as to whether or not they will accept an older score.

I took the old format (in 2004), and had no problem with schools accepting the score this year. I don't know if this will change in future application cycles.

kellia said:
I got the same letter and called them. The PCATs were scored CORRECTLY, but the scores they reported to the schools were 2-4% lower than what your actual score was.

This makes me livid!!!!! To think that the schools I applied to had sub-par pcat scores for me really makes me mad. It had to negatively affect our chances for admission. Thank god I got accepted!

I don't really think that offering a free re-take will make anyone feel any better... especially if they didn't get accepted because of that mistake.

I got the letter as well. However, I didn't get accepted. If this score problem played a role, I will never know. Re-taking the PCAT will IN NO WAY make up for their mistake. They didn't even say what scores they reported and to whom. It was so vague, I don't even think they know. I hope Harcourt is still reading this site. :mad:
If you got this letter, please post your experiences.

I feel sorry for you, I was in the same position last year. When Harcourt changed the format of the test, they acquired new norming groups, and any old/previous tests were scaled according to that new group. As a result, my composite score dropped by 10 pts.

The worst thing, is I sent that mark to all the schools thinking that it was the same score as I had originally achieved, Harcourt made no effort whatsoever to contact me to inform me that anything had changed, so I was applying with a low score all round. Harcourt claims that they sent both the old score, and the newly revised score, but guess which ones the schools opted to use? :rolleyes:

Harcourt keeps doing this type of stuff to get students to constantly retest at 100 bucks a pop. End of story. IMHO, Harcourt is run by a bunch of chimps on type writers. :mad:

And yes I got this letter a few days ago too, and the fact that they screwed up my score on two seperate and consecutive occasions warrants a bunch of these :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I took the PCAT in Oct. 2003 and Jan. 2004 and I also received a letter stating that they sent incorrect scores to the schools that I applied between Oct. 2004 and March 2006. I believe this kept me out last year. I think that we all could go together and seek legal action.

michele_107 said:
What do you mean?
Michele_107,

What I mean is: not many school accept more than one-year-old score! 2004 to 2006 is 2-yrs old already.

What I hate Hartcourt is: because THAT wrong score, I lost my chance. No way that I can roll back time.

Dabumba.