March 8 WVSOM Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hooperg

Just some guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else interviewing at WVSOM on March 8?

Can anyone provide any encouraging statistics for post-interview acceptance rate there? I am very, very excited, but at the same time terribly nervous. 3.3gpa/26P mcat, Army Officer (May).
I have been trying to get a DO letter to supplement the application, as I recently had the pleasure of speaking with a very caring, very motivated DO general surgeon.

Kind Regards,
Gray Hooper :)

Members don't see this ad.

I currently attend WVSOM and just wanted to give you some good news that the interview is not something to get stressed about. It is very friendly and laid back, and was the most enjoyable interview I was on. Your grades seem fine to get a spot, so just come to the campus and enjoy yourself. Mdapplicants.com has a good profile for our school without the grade inflation that alot of the allopath stats have. Also, read the interview feedback portion of SDN to get some good tips about the interview. I'm sure you'll rock it out, if you have any questions drop me a line.

-Bill Brasky
"Third: Brasky got his wife pregnant and she gave birth to a delicious 16 oz. steak.

Second: The afterbirth was sautéed mushrooms.

First: Brasky's family crest is a picture of a barracuda eating Neil Armstrong.

Third: Brasky is ranked 8th in the AP College Football poll.

Second: To Bill Brasky.

Together: Bill Brasky!"

hooperg said:

Can anyone provide any encouraging statistics for post-interview acceptance rate there? I am very, very excited, but at the same time terribly nervous. 3.3gpa/26P mcat, Army Officer (May).
I have been trying to get a DO letter to supplement the application, as I recently had the pleasure of speaking with a very caring, very motivated DO general surgeon.

Kind Regards,
The acceptance rate post-interview is ~74%. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
hooperg said:

Kind Regards,

I'll be interviewing March 8 too! Hope to see you there and good luck =)

I think I am scheduled to take people to lunch on March 8th. Not sure though. I will say that the interview process is a piece of cake! :) No stress!

-Richie

hooperg said:

Kind Regards,

Acceptance rate after interviewing was 71% in 2003 according to US News and World Report.

The interview was one of the most laid back I have been to, you will do fine.

Richie Truxillo said:
I think I am scheduled to take people to lunch on March 8th. Not sure though. I will say that the interview process is a piece of cake! :) No stress!

-Richie

Mad props on the website, you have far better coding skills then I could ever.

Jamers said:
Mad props on the website, you have far better coding skills then I could ever.

I'm interviewing there on March 15th, is anyone else??

megpie111 said:
I'm interviewing there on March 15th, is anyone else??

Im interviewing on the 6th but have yet to buy a ticket because I am a little bit, or alot, worried that it is a bit too late. I dont want to spend money on a flight if I am just interviewing for a waitlist, but this may be totally wrong...any thoughts? also, where are you supposed to fly into to get to WVSOM?

Thanks guys, and good luck to all thos interviewing!

gobeavers said:
Im interviewing on the 6th but have yet to buy a ticket because I am a little bit, or alot, worried that it is a bit too late. I dont want to spend money on a flight if I am just interviewing for a waitlist, but this may be totally wrong...any thoughts? also, where are you supposed to fly into to get to WVSOM?

Thanks guys, and good luck to all thos interviewing!

This is probably the wrong place to put it, but I thought I'd respond because I know you interviewed at a couple of other places. I decided to apply to LECOM-B after you did. I really wasn't intending to go there, but I really did fall in love with the place after my visit. I was unimpressed with the other two places I looked at, but this one did it for me. I interviewed Feb 8th and was accepted a few days later. I talked to some other people who were put on the alternate list, though. According to LECOM-B's staff, about 90 people were put on the alternate list last year and half (~45) were accepted. You still have a chance at some of the schools that you have already interviewed with. I don't know if the same advice goes with WVSOM, but there are still people interviewing at LECOM through March 31 who will be accepted right away. Med schools, though, are "numbers ******". I've said this a bunch of times, but the people who are accepted right now have really good GPA's and MCAT's but are just late in completing their secondaries. My belief is that with a 21 MCAT you are not likely to be immediately accepted anywhere. (I could be wrong, though.) The schools will tend to accept only higher numbers at this point. Later, they will go back through the lists and you will have a better chance.

To be accepted, they recommend that you write an LOI very soon, and if you have any more recommendations that might help your cause, then please start sending those. You might still get in. If you don't, however, I think you know what needs to be done. The easiest way to improve your chances is the next MCAT.

Good luck to those who are interviewing!

I interviewed at WVSOM and loved it. Everyone that you meet is very nice, and great at answering all of your questions. The campus is beautiful, with great facilities. Best of luck!

This is probably the wrong place to put it, but I thought I'd respond because I know you interviewed at a couple of other places. I decided to apply to LECOM-B after you did. I really wasn't intending to go there, but I really did fall in love with the place after my visit. I was unimpressed with the other two places I looked at, but this one did it for me. I interviewed Feb 8th and was accepted a few days later. I talked to some other people who were put on the alternate list, though. According to LECOM-B's staff, about 90 people were put on the alternate list last year and half (~45) were accepted. You still have a chance at some of the schools that you have already interviewed with. I don't know if the same advice goes with WVSOM, but there are still people interviewing at LECOM through March 31 who will be accepted right away. Med schools, though, are "numbers ******". I've said this a bunch of times, but the people who are accepted right now have really good GPA's and MCAT's but are just late in completing their secondaries. My belief is that with a 21 MCAT you are not likely to be immediately accepted anywhere. (I could be wrong, though.) The schools will tend to accept only higher numbers at this point. Later, they will go back through the lists and you will have a better chance.

To be accepted, they recommend that you write an LOI very soon, and if you have any more recommendations that might help your cause, then please start sending those. You might still get in. If you don't, however, I think you know what needs to be done. The easiest way to improve your chances is the next MCAT.

If all this were true, then why would they even be interviewing people with lower numbers. I'm sure they have plenty on the waitlist already. I believe that if you are being interviewed, you still have a great chance at being accepted! If they didn't like your numbers, they wouldn't invite you. At many places numbers are not everything. I knew someone last year that had a 3.85 gpa and 33P MCAT and didn't get in to allopathic or osteopathic! But, he didn't reapply. What does that tell you? They saw it -like I said, numbers are not everything!

Go and good luck!!:thumbup:

sorry to tell you this, but they have 15 spots left in their entering class. I interviewed Monday and I asked one of the staff, and she said this. So hopefully, you will be one of the 15 people to be granted the position. After that, waitlist interviews start.

ill be there on March 7th.. good luck all!

sorry to tell you this, but they have 15 spots left in their entering class. I interviewed Monday and I asked one of the staff, and she said this. So hopefully, you will be one of the 15 people to be granted the position. After that, waitlist interviews start.

Well, I just declined my interview at WVSOM. It felt really odd to do so; however, I trust my interview slot will go to a great person still waiting for one. They seem to be a great school. Good luck, y'all. :)