Margarine vs. Butter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyisblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that margarine was healthier than butter, because it is less saturated than butter, but my friend seems to disagree with me.

Am I correct?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that margarine was healthier than butter, because it is less saturated than butter, but my friend seems to disagree with me.

Am I correct?

Yes, I can see why you friend think that it doesnt matter what you eat butter or margarine. There are probably many differences but the one that is relavent to DAT would be about chloestrol.

Margarine have NO cholestrol while butter have cholestrol. But you should know that low cholestrol diets are pointless because if you dont consume cholestrol then your body, particularly liver with make cholestrol by modifing glucose.

So, that could be one's argument why it doesnt matter which one you consume, margarine and butter.

There are many other arguments about saturated fats and gydrogenated oils, etc. But this is probably what you would want to know for the DATs.

*Hope this helps

The process of making margarine includes partial hydrogenation. This leads to the production of trans-fatty acids which are definitely not good for your body.

Butter on the other hand is a natural fat from animals and contains no trans-fatty acids.

I would go with butter.

If you want a good margarine spread I would suggest Smart Balance.