marijuana misdemeaor and pharmacy

Started by allamerican
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

A

allamerican

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering what the ramifications are for being arrested for marijuana possession while in pharmacy school. Being a first time offender, with a high possibility for attaining a plea bargain (probation, fine, community service), is there anybody there in pharmacy school who has gone through a similar situation?

What kind of hurdles should I prepare for as far as completing pharmacy school, getting rotations, attaining a license, and obtaining a job in the pharmaceutical field?

This event has opened my eyes to the consequences of my actions. I made a mistake that will affect me for the rest of my life. Any advice on what I should do next will be greatly appreciated.
 
I don't know about the MJ but I know a couple people who got DUIs in pharmacy school. do the community service/fines/whatever but a one time offense shouldn't upset things too badly.
 
I was wondering what the ramifications are for being arrested for marijuana possession while in pharmacy school. Being a first time offender, with a high possibility for attaining a plea bargain (probation, fine, community service), is there anybody there in pharmacy school who has gone through a similar situation?

What kind of hurdles should I prepare for as far as completing pharmacy school, getting rotations, attaining a license, and obtaining a job in the pharmaceutical field?

This event has opened my eyes to the consequences of my actions. I made a mistake that will affect me for the rest of my life. Any advice on what I should do next will be greatly appreciated.

1- Make sure you do your best, by consulting with good lawyers, to receive the best bargain possible. Note: this doesn't apply to all cases, but depending on the state and the details, you may even be able to cut a deal since it's your first offense, by admitting to an addiction and completing a rehab. I'm from NY, and I've heard of folks who have gotten verdicts against them expunged upon completion, to allow them to attend school and become productive citizens. Always consult a lawyer first before making any major decision... I'm just writing my thoughts as someone who hails from a family of lawyers/public relations advocates/judges...

2- It may be difficult for you to get licensed, specifically because your indiscretion was with respect to drugs, albeit not from a pharmacy. Perhaps you could, at the point of application, apply to a handful of different states. Some will be very hard on you, and some (if you have changed) will accept that people can change.

3- Whatever the deal may be- make sure to follow the decision to the letter and not to become involved in such activity ever again.

4- If you ever had to explain it on licensing papers, and it really did change your perspective and you have changed, since. Make sure to write that in the explanation. You may even wish to volunteer to speak to High School students, or something similar about the dangers of prescription and illegal drug abuse. Perhaps you could go into research about addiction and contribute something to society. There's been many a 'black hat' who became a productive citizen who works for the good of a given community- and beyond.

5- Good luck and turn this negative into something productive. And work on your spelling... (What's "misdemeaor"?!)
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know someone that has gone through the situation. I think there is a program just for pharmacists that you'll have to take part of, with weekly meetings and lots of drug tests and things like that. As long as you don't do it again, you should be able to get your license. As for hirability after getting your license, I'm not sure about that.
 
Check with your state board of pharmacy, they should have specific guidelines for these types of situations. There's really not much they haven't come across before.
 
damn. I already replied to this thread. My new answer is:

Oh noes! You're effed!

Effed in the A!
 
In Illinois, getting a drug misdeameanor conviction while having a pharmacist license requires discipline of license.