Marquette questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMDeeMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, this is for anyone that has any information on marquette. I'm a wisconsin resident, it's the only dschool in my state, so i have a couple questions.

1. has anyone applied there and got accepted that took a couple courses form a junior college? i talked to someone in admissions there and they said "your application would be severly hurt with any junior college credits." just wonder if there is anyone that can attest to this.

2. students that have dealt with marquette's "people", is it just me or did they come across as really snobby??

3. in terms of grade trend, they told me they like to see a positive trend and that an off year shouldn't hurt a student, but really they were just stepping around telling me they just want my application money and i really would have no shot with a 3.3 cum gpa (that includes a bad year, 2.2 style).

so if anyone can help me out, especially in regard to question 1, i would much appreciate it. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Marquette was very snobby every time I called. They were always giving me the run around. Bascially, you are going to need a high GPA to get accepted. They changed their policies this year. Their average GPA will be around 3.6 for this year. They accept students who went to rinky dink universities and got good GPA's . The thing is these students couldn't even get better than a 16 on their DAT. They require a 14 or better in all sections for the DAT....but that is all. They don't put much merit in it. I ended up withdrawing my application because I was so disturbed by their admissions policies. They are just trying to make their numbers look good instead of looking at the quality of applicants. To answer your question...I think you have a very poor chance of getting accepted with a 3.3. Forget Marquette and apply to a better school. Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.

yeah benj, you are at minnesota right??? well that's my number one choice right now. any advice on improving my app??? also if i really bust my ass i could get around 3.5-3.6, but i'm taking into account i will have some tough classes once i hit the upper level kinesiology courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 3.2 GPA and 20/20 DAT. I think Minnesota likes to see a high DAT if you have a lower GPA. Get a 19 or 20 on the DAT. Also, I had a lot of extra curricular activities and research experience which they liked a lot being they are a big research university. I also called or emailed Gale Shea, the director of admissions once a week so that my application was always fresh in her mind. At my interview, they told me you would not get accepted unless you showed interest in their school. I am happy about my acceptance. It was tied as my first choice with Marquette (until I found out how Marquette really works). Are you applying this summer?

Also any news about Marquette and the waitlist, Is april the month. I just want to hear something from this school. Everytime I call its, your still on the waitlist, blah, blah, blah.

Marquette puts a ton of people on their waitlist. I know last year the movement on the list was relatively late in the cycle. I think this is because it is a backup school for a lot of people. Just keep calling to let them know you're interested.

benj, thanks for the info bud. couple more questions for you though. i could get a 3.5-3.6 cum if i really bust my ass, but i said 3.2 cause i was accounting for some difficult kinesiology classes next fall. anways, i'll probably talk to marquette some more, but chances are i wont' apply cause it would be a waste of money since i will have 20 credits from a community college. anyways, i plan on taking a year off and applying for fall 2007 entering class as i said earlier. i was wondering if you could possibly let me know of any opportunities at UMinn school for research. i'm thinking of moving down there for my year off and living with my uncle (penthouse in downtown by the target center, he's a big shot for transamerica) to work as a personal trainer, study/take DAT, do research, and establish residency in minnesota. any contacts you could send me would be greatly appreciated. please keep in touch. one of my friends is starting dschool this fall at Minnesota. she's wicked smart, got a scholarship from minnesota too to go to dschool there. thanks again bud.