1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Marquette

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Mr.E, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Mr.E

Mr.E Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I recieved this in the mail today from Marquette:

"The addmissions cCommitee of the Marquette....has reviewed you application and supporting credentials for hte 2006 Freshman class. The Commitee has decided to "HOLD" making a decision on your application at this time in the process. While both offers of admission and denials have been made at this point, your application will remain active in our applicant pool. Your credentials will continue to be reviewed at subsequent meeting of the Admissions Committee and you will be notified when a final decision is ultimately rendered."

So, besides the obvious, is this letter good news or bad? Did anyone else receive a similar letter? And when? For those who got accepted last year, if you are still around, did any of you receive a similar letter?

2. Rack-Man

Rack-Man New Member

Pre-Dental
    Dude that is pretty good. That means you application is going onto the next round. I got a rejection notice through AADSAS. After calling the school I was informed that they cut about 75% of thier application field. So keep you head up and send any new information relevent to your application.

3. Generallee

Generallee NYUCD 2010
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I got a similar letter from Case. I interpret the letter like this: "We like you, but we'll have to wait and see how many people send in their deposits and if there are any seats left over, then we'll take a deeper look at your application and perhaps accept you then."

In my opinion, schools that do this are just trying to be safe. Meaning, they don't want to accept too many. For example, Case accepted 75 people into their class last cycle but only had 70 seats. In order for them to avoid this for this cycle, they probably had to cut down the amount of acceptances given out on Dec.1.

Lets say that in previous years it was customary that Case sent out 200 acceptance letters for Dec. 1. This year, instead of sending out 200 acceptance letters all at once, maybe they sent out 170 and put 30 on "hold". This way they can gradually fill their class and the chances of having an "overfilled" class is reduced. I don't know if this is true, but it was the most logical "guess" I could think of. So, please remember this is my own opinion. I didn't even know that dental schools had a "Hold" list for those who interviewed before Dec. 1. I always thought that you either got accepted, rejected, or waitlisted.

Case informed me that being on "Hold" has higher priority than "Waitlist". So, if there are seats available, it will go to the people on the "Hold" list before the people on the "Waitlist".

Either way, lets hope for the best!

4. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I got the same letter in the mail today. I wouldn't get overly excited. I think its a nice way to leave us hanging until they deny us in May. :smuggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Generallee

Generallee NYUCD 2010
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    double post....sorry...

6. Generallee

Generallee NYUCD 2010
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I initially thought that too, but I try to be optimistic. Why wouldn't they just "waitlist" us then? IMHO, "waitlist" is the nice way of saying "no thanks". :)

7. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I havn't even interviewed there and I still got that letter. If they are not going to even consider interviewing me untill later I think it's safe to say they won't. Did someone get that letter that has interviewed there?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. huskerslp

huskerslp Member
    5+ Year Member

I checked on AADSAS and it says that my file remains active in the application pool. I find that strange since I haven't submitted my secondary application as well as did not receive an invitation to interview.

9. r0entgen

r0entgen Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

lol...sounds kind of unnecessary. why not just have a waitlist only, and go to #1 on the waitlist if some people decline the offer? =p

10. kew

kew
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I received that letter and have not gone to the school and interviewed. However, Marquette visits Utah every year and conducts mini interviews with Brian Trecek. I met with him for fifteen minutes back in October and hadn't hearda word since. I thought I was up the stream with that school being that I hadn't heard anything until now. I though that if they were interested in me that they would have required that I interview out at the school but then I got this letter in the mail and I can only assume that I'm now being considered as a possible acceptance from what you guys are saying. I hope that's the case. Maybe my fifteen minute interview was counted as the real thing I guess. We'll have to wait and see. What do you guys think about this letter? I'd like to hear some more opinions.

11. Mr.E

Mr.E Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was a bit confused about the whole letter because I haven't even interviewed at Marquette and like I mentioned in my first post I received this letter. By the sound of things, it's probably a formal letter that they send out to individuals yet to be rejected and still not selected for acceptance. I hope it turns out to be positive! By the way, is Marquette interviewing all of the select applicants or just a few? I've heard that in the past they didn't interview. Is this still going on?

12. rectalt

rectalt Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I also recieved the same letter. I have not returned the secondary. So I have no clue why they sent me that letter. My first thought when I read it was they were after my app money and then they would reject me. But anyway i'm glad I don't have to go there after reading about that suspended student. I sure hope everything works out for him.

Goodluck everyone!

13. mitechgrl

mitechgrl Member
    7+ Year Member

I got this same letter 2 years ago and I wasn't accepted in the end.... They put a lot of people on "hold"..... A LOT OF PEOPLE!!!! However, for some reason after I applied this year I didn't get an interview and I got the stupid "HOLD" letter again.... good thing I have 5 other acceptances in hand... I will be giving up my HOLD position at Marquette... hopefully it will move someone else up on the list.

14. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ya, I'm in the same situation as you. I had a mini interview and Brain told me he thought that I would be competitive for an interview. I guess he was just blowing smoke up my a$$! :mad: As for the mini interviews we had, I'm pretty sure those don't count as an actual interview. I have some friends who also had one of these meetings and they ended up getting an actual interview at the school.

15. Lostinbul

Lostinbul Pray'n for a letter!
    5+ Year Member

Yep! I interviewed at Marquette and am currently in the "hold" group. The way I look at it, anything but acceptance just really sucks. Just keep in mind everyone, that it ain't over till its over.

16. thomasjm

thomasjm Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm in the same boat..... the "HOLD" list. Anything is better than a no at this point.

17. thomasjm

thomasjm Member
    5+ Year Member

I called there today, and found out that they rejected quite a few applicants this year (2500 applied). In thier words "we reject hundreds and hundreds..." They told me that there is no waitlist at this time and after people send deposits in, they see how many spots are open for the HOLD canidates.
    There is no ranking among the HOLD applicants either. I don't know what to think, this isn't a whole lot more than I knew before. Just letting you guys know!

18. cgDDS

cgDDS Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I called Marquette earlier this week about the "HOLD" letter I received....I asked about the fact that I have not been offered an interview and she said that if you have not been interviewed then the "HOLD" is to decide whether or not to offer an interview....

for those of you who have been interviewed: the "HOLD" is to decide whether or not to offer you an acceptance....

for those of you who recently sent in your secondary or haven't sent it in at all: it doesn't matter because the secondary is only for scholarship purposes....some people don't even receive a secondary because they do not meet the requirements of the scholarship...

for now, the only thing us "HOLD" applicants can do is wait and see how their class fills (or hope that we've been accepted elsewhere)...my guess is that it will be somewhat promising because all of the 3.5+ GPA and 20+ DAT applicants wil inform them that they are going to their #1 choice...but let's keep our hopes up....

19. thomasjm

thomasjm Member
    5+ Year Member

hmmm....so you say that HOLD may be to just secure a spot for an interview? I didn't think that Marquette did mandatory interviews. I was up there two summers ago and participated in thier HCOP program and met with the director and other administrative folks. I wonder if that means I'll have to go back up? Its only a big deal cause I'm from PA and it would be quite a trek......but of course worth it!

20. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This year is the first year that they have required interviews. So I'm sorry to say that if your going to be accepted not only will you first need an interview but you'll have to trek out from PA. :(

21. chungit12

chungit12 Member
    5+ Year Member

Waiting list may not necessary be a good thing.
    I talked to this guy who got waiting listed for 6 schools and eventually got
    rejected in May. Man... help me.

22. samo

samo Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    Got the same HOLD letter from Marquette too..........
    But who cares about them..........Got accepted somewhere else with FULLLLL Scholarship...........Do debt.............FAFSA or Military funding ...........Which means the money i make post graduation will be mine..........and mine alone....maybe will share with my Mom and DAd and take care of em in OLD age rather than tossing em in Nursing Homes like Most Fellow Americans!

23. natroncb

natroncb KellyMD
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    What school gives out FULL scholarships? Hmmm....

24. burnintime

burnintime Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I called Marquette today and talked to Brian. He told me straight up that they sent out over 1000 hold letters. They plan to use us holders as a reserve pool for potential interviews after spots open up. He told me they issued 70 acceptance letters and around 25 of those they expect not to accept. It seems like false hope to me. Over 1000 applicants shooting for 25 spots. This is a nasty business.