Marriage Advice?

pmb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have been married for half a year now and I am not sure if she is the one for me? I was unsure before we got married, but because she was living with my parents I felt pressure from them and also my friends to marry her. Plus it was a big wedding with no refund. Now that we have been married and I have gotten to know her a lot more, I feel like she is not the one I want to spend the rest of my life with or have children with. I made a list of pros and cons and the later is a lot longer than the pros. I just finished my first year of med school in a different state from where I grew up and I am starting to realize that I am much more attracted to women who are driven and want a career than being a house wife. Unfortunately, I never really met women like this until I came to med school.

Should I approach her about this and try to work this out through marriage counceling? Or should I bag it and move on? We are both Christians so it makes it even tougher to get a divorce.

Members don't see this ad.

why exactly was she living with your parents?

Try counseling first. If things don't work, you should know that you have given it your best shot.

You might also want to talk to a therapist one- on-one.

(I'm being nosy, but why was she living with you parents?)

Members don't see this ad :)
You are an idiot.

You can't just bag it and move on without trying to work it out. Ok- I guess you can...but it's not fair to you or her. You should never have married someone you were not sure about.

Definitely try counseling- I would recommend with your church too since religion seems to be important to you.

As for the mean time- Take why don't you take your list of pros/cons and see if there is any point you could discuss with your wife. (other than that, I would discard your list- I personally feel using pros/cons on a person is pretty sad...if it's that bad you are just looking for a way out.)
See how she is feeling about it. Perhaps she doesn't WANT to be a housewife either.... maybe she feels like her religion, parents, or you dictated that role to her. Maybe not though. Maybe she can explain her desire to be a housewife and you will be more understanding.
Ask her if she has anything specific she'd like to study- maybe if she enrolled in a class or two you would feel she were more motivated/driven.
Or- maybe you are just into the novelty of a different type of woman. You need to figure that out for yourself....

Do talk to her though- she deserves a right to know you are having these thoughts. I wouldn't approach it as "these are the things I don't like about you" or "these girls are better because..."

lovemydrhubby said:
You can't just bag it and move on without trying to work it out. Ok- I guess you can...but it's not fair to you or her. You should never have married someone you were not sure about.

Definitely try counseling- I would recommend with your church too since religion seems to be important to you.

As for the mean time- Take why don't you take your list of pros/cons and see if there is any point you could discuss with your wife. (other than that, I would discard your list- I personally feel using pros/cons on a person is pretty sad...if it's that bad you are just looking for a way out.)
See how she is feeling about it. Perhaps she doesn't WANT to be a housewife either.... maybe she feels like her religion, parents, or you dictated that role to her. Maybe not though. Maybe she can explain her desire to be a housewife and you will be more understanding.
Ask her if she has anything specific she'd like to study- maybe if she enrolled in a class or two you would feel she were more motivated/driven.
Or- maybe you are just into the novelty of a different type of woman. You need to figure that out for yourself....

Do talk to her though- she deserves a right to know you are having these thoughts. I wouldn't approach it as "these are the things I don't like about you" or "these girls are better because..."

This is good advice...also, the other day our preacher taught about marriage and was pretty straight forward...take the following how you want and please no flamers...this info. is for the person asking (and remember he said they were Christians)...everyone else do what you want....

...anyway, he said that there are only 2 reasons for divorce: repeated adultry (where the spouse won't stop); and verbal/physical abuse that won't stop. He took a "tough love" stance and said that most divorces are just because "we want a different model", or that we didn't understand what marriage was about in the first place. Marriage is really a choice and the "love" feelings are not always there. Our pastor taught that we are responsible for ourselves NOT for trying to change our partner. He also said something to the effect, "so you got the short end of the stick? Too bad! But don't I deserve to be happy? No, not without effort..."

I have noticed in my own marriage that when I act how I should it is very contagious. You know our culture teaches us about the before and the "kiss" of "I do" but we don't ever see what happens after "happily ever after". Most of it not glamourous! It can be a pain to live with someone and to adjust to them doing things almost always differently than you do. I'd try making a list of where you come up short. The first year of marriage is very trying...my first 2 were awful...and people thought we were perfect for each other. I do believe we were supposed to get married but it takes tremendous work. I am sure that there is alot that she is not communicating to you also. I would seek out a 3rd party to talk to. I'd also seek out someone that will stand by your marriage and hold you accountable to make it work. I have been married for 9 years and we get better at it everyday. Marriage is not what either of us expected but with some work we are finding it is much better than we thought was possible.

Also, let me just tell you that divorce does not always fix things. My mother has been married several times and found that she needed to fix herself and not try to change the other person and it looks like this marriage is going to make it! Yes, there are people that find a better life after divorce but I think most find that since they took THEMSELVES with them that they still have the same problems in a new relationship.

I like the book "surrendering to marriage" by Iris Krasnow. It is a common sense book that isn't thick in religious overtones. I've read many religious books on marriage and haven't found one that I like. They all just made me feel kind of guilty for having doubts etc. You shouldn't feel bad for what you are feeling...you should just try to fix it. Well, I know its hard on an internet forum and without understanding all your issues, but I wish you the best of luck!

Mom2five, you give good advice.
Listen dude: I get the distinct impression reading between the lines that this was an "arranged" marriage of the traditional variety. But six months is hardly long enough to say you know someone, especially if you didn't know her well before you got married. Amazes me but I'm an unconventional American girl, one of those "driven" types.
Marriage is hard--really hard. In fact, today (7/15) is my ten-year anniversary with my ex-husband. We divorced 3 1/2 years ago and I still regret it. It's taken a long time to get past it. Our marriage was far from idyllic but we were great friends and that's the part I miss most. I also had to face the "do I want this man to be the father of my children?" quandary, but let me tell you, in retrospect, I wasn't ready to be anybody's mother--it wasn't that he wasn't good father material, I wasn't good mother material back then.
I understand that now you've been around other women you're questioning whether you got the best one. It's a normal thing to wonder. Why not sit down with your wife (she IS your wife, remember) and try to broach this conversation? something like "what do you really want out of life?" and if you get stuck, get a neutral third-party to help you.
Another thing: your family's faith isn't YOUR faith. At some point we have to grow up and realize that we have to choose for ourselves what we believe. As many people have said, "God doesn't have grandchildren". If YOU are a Christian in your own right, talk to God and ask for guidance on what you should do.
Best,
Lisa

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am now more confused than I was to begin with ;)

This wasn't an arranged marriage, but we didn't really have a lot of time to get to know each other because of my busy life trying to start a new career in medicine. And the reason she was living with my parents was because we were engaged and she wanted to go to school full time without having to pay for rent. She is driven in the fact that she wants to become a nurse so that she can work 2 days a week and then be a mom the rest of the time. It is hard though because she has a learning disability and I don't know how to deal with that very well since medical students generally are pretty smart people. Anyway, there are more issues that I could go into but I will save for some counceling.

Just an FYI...I prayed for month's before we got married if she was the one and I never really got peace about it.

Thanks again.

Hi there,

I'm 28 and married. Not to sound high and mighty or anything, but I really don't understand how people think marriage is "hard." I would think if you really loved your spouse, and if you knew through extensive discussions that this person was truly compatible with you, marriage would be effortless--no "work" involved. For us, marriage is effortless. In the five years we've been together, we've never had to "work" on anything. True, there's less romance in the relationship than I'd like, and I'd sure love it if my hubby planned more dates for us, but other than that, I'm truly happy and in love and couldn't be more content to be married. In fact, today while I was at work, a fellow co-worked who I didn't know asked me if I was married and when I said yes, she said, "I've heard marriage is really hard." What? I thought that question was a little extreme. No, marriage isn't hard if you're with the right person. I also don't understand how someone can marry someone--make a lifetime committment--unless you're absolutely, positivel 100% sure about someone, and sure that you really and truly "know" someone--their quirks, their insecurities, their hopes and dreams, their deepest darkest thoughts, etc.

As for the person who commented that "sometimes it's a pain to live with someone who does things differently than you do," I don't really understand that either. Isn't the point of dating to make sure you and your partner are 100% compatible before sealing the deal? Through dating, don't you find out how your partner "lives" and how your partner handles/reacts to different situations? For me, I can truly say that there has not been a single surprise in our marriage. There is nothing new I've discovered since being married that I did not already know. I already knew how my husband handles/reacts to things from dating him for 2.5 years prior to marriage and through countless "deep" conversations that we had about how we want our lives to be before we got married. I can truly say that my husband and I agree on nearly everything. Our values are the same. Our goals and dreams are the same. Our personalities are the same. Although many people think that "opposites attract," I am a firm believer that "likes" live in better harmony.

Also, I think it is vitally important to live with your partner before marriage. I know some people object to this on religious grounds, but for me, I would never have married anyone who I didn't live with first. How can you buy the goods without trying them on? I didn't want any surprises in marriage--I wanted to know what my future husband was like as a roommate. I think some people underestimate this. Yes, you're husband and wife but you're also roommates and friends. I lived with an ex-boyfriend as well, and it was through living together that I realized I could never be married to him.

It seems like perhaps you rushed into marriage too soon before you were ready. Maybe also you were too young to get married, in the emotional maturity sense. I waited until I felt 100% ready in mind, body, and soul, and that occurred for me at age 26 (got engaged) and age 27 (got married.) But that's besides the point for you, since you're already married.

My personal theory about why there is so much marital discord in our generation at least, is because people focus too much on finding a partner with the right physical chemistry, to the detriment of ignoring whether or not this person is your best friend. Is your partner someone you can lean on in times of hardship? Will this person make a good parent for your children? Is this person the one you want to be roommates forever with? Do you like palling around with this person? Passion cools--it's just inevitable--and at the end of the day you need to be sure that there's a lot more there than lust and physical attraction. I also think part of the reason there's so much marital discord is because people don't date enough before choosing a life partner--they don't have a wide enough applicant pool from which to choose. How can you know which shoe fits the best if you have only tried on a few pairs? That's why I think Internet dating sites are the best thing since sliced bread. My theory is that people who meet their mate online have the best chance for marital success, because they're not confined to "meeting their mate at a bar" or wherever else most young people find partners, and also because they have the opportunity to date lots and lots of people before they come up with a general idea of the qualities they're seeking.

I also guess I don't understand why you think a) learning disabilities mean someone is not smart, and b) your wife will be a "housewife" and is not driven because she "only" wants to be a nurse. That sounds pretty darn driven to me! Plus, you said she wanted to live with your parents so she could focus her finances on school. That sounds very responsible to me. Aren't you being a bit harsh? Just because she won't be a doctor doesn't mean she isn't "smart," or "driven." That seems a little judgmental on your part. Many women want to work part time and be moms, even many female doctors and lawyers want to do that. Some doctors quit medicine all together and become stay at home moms, because they decide that's where their priorities are.

There is an excellent book that I have on my bookshelf, called "Intellectual Foreplay." It's a book of questions--deep, meaningful questions--that you can ask your partner to get more insight into their values, how they want to live their life, etc. My husband and I used it a lot while we were dating, it was a great springboard into deep conversations about what we both wanted. you should check it out. Maybe through these discussions, you'll realize you're more in-tune than you think.

Just my two cents.

pmb said:
Thanks everyone for your advice. I am now more confused than I was to begin with ;)

This wasn't an arranged marriage, but we didn't really have a lot of time to get to know each other because of my busy life trying to start a new career in medicine. And the reason she was living with my parents was because we were engaged and she wanted to go to school full time without having to pay for rent. She is driven in the fact that she wants to become a nurse so that she can work 2 days a week and then be a mom the rest of the time. It is hard though because she has a learning disability and I don't know how to deal with that very well since medical students generally are pretty smart people. Anyway, there are more issues that I could go into but I will save for some counceling.

Just an FYI...I prayed for month's before we got married if she was the one and I never really got peace about it.

Thanks again.

pmb,

If she is driven enough to go to nursing school even though she has a learning disability, she must be some girl.

I know a lot of folks and pre-meds don't put a great deal of stock in nursing education, but it is a challenge. And if she is trying hard with a learning disability, it is even more so for her. Don't worry about her having "drive". She has enough to want to be a nurse, a mom and your wife.

I am going to assume that as an MS1 you are about 23-24. Part of what you are feeling is the stress of your studies along with growing pains. The stress you are under would test the best marriage.

Pray about it. Seek help from a good counselor, for your marriage AND FOR YOURSELF!

Often God's response is that question in the back of our mind.

I will keep you in prayer.

Agape.

Toofscum...first of all if you are going to use me in your post be careful about the generalizations that you make. My husband and I agree on ALL the MAJOR issues. People that know us think we have the best marriage they know of. I was giving advice to someone that asked and I asked for everyone to keep that in mind and not comment on my comments. You could have just posted your opinion without directly referring to me. That was very annoying. My husband and I have one of the best engagement stories ever. To imply that I do not love him because, God forbid he doesn't hang pants on the hanger the same way I do is ridiculous! And that is what I was speaking of to pmb...that sometimes the "little" things can add up and if you don't deal with them and forgive each other then you can think you have a bigger problem than you do. Also, people that live together before marriage have a higher rate of divorce in several studies. At least I can address you directly...I'm really not in the mood and not sure if you are mad about my post to you earlier about if you were going to have kids or what your deal is with me? I had NO attitude in that post and if you took it that way I'm sorry.

http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0403_Divorce_Rates_for_Li.html
http://health.discovery.com/centers/loverelationships/articles/marriage_myths.html

Toofscum- your response strikes me as odd b/c aren't you the one who's always posting about how lonely you are in your marriage and how your husband is always studying instead of spending time with you? it would seem as if those are certainly issues that need "effort" but please correct me if i'm mistaken.

as for pmb, it sounds like you're in a tough situation. i agree that marriage counseling would certainly be a helpful starting point, but i wonder if you've discussed any of these feelings you have with your wife, ie rushing into marriage or not being completely compatible. you may find that she has similar concerns and communicating these issues might be enlightening for both of you. she DOES sound like she has her own goals and plans (working part-time and raising a family is no easy task!) that should certainly not be discounted. it's understandable if you feel some attraction to other women, but perhaps this stems more from your dissatisfaction in your current marriage than true interest in your classmates... marriage certainly can be a lot of work, so don't be disgruntled if it's tough at first. i'm a recent newlywed, but i've been with my husband for the past 10-11 years, so we know each other pretty well. believe me, we didn't always get along so well!!

good luck.

Toofscum I may have over-reacted...so I am sorry. I am glad that things are going well in your marriage and I wish you the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
MomTo5, I'm sorry I used your statement--I wasn't thinking when I wrote my response. I apologize for that--it was not meant in retaliation in any way, shape or form. I just thought it was a good springboard for what I wanted to say. Please forgive me!!!!

And to the above poster, yes, I am often posting about how lonely I am, that is true. But that is just because I have no friends or family in my new city. It's nothing that my husband is doing. He's a resident--he works from 5:30 am to 8 pm every day because he has to. And then he has to study at night and on the weekends, because he has to. He would rather be having fun with me but this is the life of a resident. He's not doing anything wrong. I just get lonely, and I like to vent on this forum, that's all. I am still having problems with feeling totally directionless on his on-call nights, but that is my own problem and has nothing to do with the quality of my marriage.

my goodness, how would someone feel if he discovered his spouse had made a list of pros and cons regarding his worthiness

don't ever let her see that list!

sit down and talk about the issues that you are worried about, and uncomfortable with. Talk openly about your own part in this and your personal things that you know you need to work on. Focus on the commonalities that you two have and then get into marriage counseling to try to work out the other issues. No marriage is perfect, but if you are attracted to her, she is a good person, you have fun together, then you have a basis to work on. Good luck and don't just bag the marriage, try to make it work and be honest with your wife.

PMB,

You make it sound like she's sitting home eating bon-bons and watching Oprah!

Your wife is working hard against having a learning disability. Why not find out all you can about her learning disability? Most people with LDs have to compensate in some manner (tutoring, et cetera) to get through school, but they're hardly dummies in daily life, and some are even gifted.

In any case, working to be a nurse part-time so that she can have time for the kids? It sounds like she is sensible. It sounds like she is perfectly aware of the sacrifices she'll need to make to keep all of those balls in the air. In any case, getting through nursing school is nothing to sneeze at! Nursing is a career-track job - it is not as if she were only selling pretzels at the mall, or something.

Why do you want a wife who works full-time if you can afford and she can afford for her not to? Have you really thought about this? Do you really relish the thought of the kids being raised by a nanny? She has a career and a life mapped out - as I said, hardly a slacker. She's figured out a way to balance the career vs. life question.

I hope you find a way to work this out. If you do dump her, she'll be the better pick, honestly, and plenty of guys out there would be happy to have her.

Or are you thinking you want an entirely different relationship - that you're chafing against the constrains of what you perceive as the "traditional" relationship? You make it sound like you feel forced into this marriage before you really had a chance to figure out what you wanted out of life.

Are you even sure you want a family? It almost sounds like you want the typical urban, upper-middle-class DINK (double income, no kids) lifestyle.

If you don't want a family and she does, then yes, you're best breaking off the relationship.

Marriage advice? :idea: I think I can help you my friend. Right now you're simply in a cold season in your relationship: you should both spice it up a bit by either visiting your local Swinger's Club or hitching a ride to Bangkok, Thailand. You'll never be the same. If you go to Bangkok, be sure to stop in the "Kitten Club" and tell the bar owner who happens to be British that Shaw-Dog sent you. You'll get a free Mai-Tai and discounted rates on the rooms upstairs. ;) (Also, be sure to catch the bananna show. I guarantee you'll never experience a bananna split the same way ever again.)

Posted by toofscum:

"As for the person who commented that "sometimes it's a pain to live with someone who does things differently than you do," I don't really understand that either. Isn't the point of dating to make sure you and your partner are 100% compatible before sealing the deal? Through dating, don't you find out how your partner "lives" and how your partner handles/reacts to different situations? For me, I can truly say that there has not been a single surprise in our marriage"

My response:

100% compatible? Are you serious? Are you living in never never land? No two people are EVER 100% compatible! Just because you love someone does not mean that they are automatically perfect and can fill your every need. I think you are mistaking love and the relationship itself. If you're with the right person, loving them comes naturally. But the relationship itself...it requires work, communication, and compromise and can be difficult. You are also forgetting something important...people change.There is never a safe, 100% bet when it comes to love. Marriage like most things in life is a risk regardless of how well you think you know your spouse. The art of marriage is being able to stay together and weather the storm as you both grow and change. For you to say there hasn't been a single surprise in your marriage, well, I feel sorry for you. How bored you must be!

1. Grass is always greener on the other side (no matter how far you walk)
2. I've been married 5 years, 1 wife, with 3 y/o and 1 y/o.
3. I dated lots of the "career" types you are enamored with, just as many pros and cons with that.
4. My wife has Phd, but chose to stay home and raise the kids.
5. My kids are brilliant. My wife is brilliant, but enjoys being housewife and a MOTHER more than the lab 12 hours a day ( she may never go back!)
6. Anyway, if you're not happy then get out now, save yourself and her a bunch of headaches down the road. At least you don't have kids to put through this..that would be really terrible. GL

Be a man and stick it out you pansie

JohnUC33 said:
Be a man and stick it out you pansie

Wait, go to Thailand first before you make your decision.

I promise you will have an amazing moment of clarity while watching the bannana show. ;)

Wow, the op really is in a tough spot. If I felt that way, I think I would want a divorce. I think if my husband felt that way about me, of course I would be devastated but I think I too would be better off without him in the long run. People change, people make mistakes. Condemning yourself to a marriage that you have never really been committed to would be tragic. It is really sad that you had these feelings BEFORE the wedding and just went ahead with the wedding anyway. I sounds as if you never discussed any of this with your wife.

I'm married and I'm really happy, but thats also how I felt before the marriage. Any relationship takes work, its give and take. It would be really great if you two could work it out, but I wouldn't be miserable for the rest of my life if I made a mistake (albeit a HUGE mistake) by getting married for the wrong reasons. I dated a guy for over six years and I was always questioning whether our relationship was right or wrong, blah, blah.... now being happily married I know that if you even have to ask, then its wrong.

Good luck?