Marriage and medicine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on getting married after my second year of med school and hope to have kids as soon as I graduate, which is unfortunately at the start of my residency training =/

Has anyone been in this situation before? Is it doable?

The forums are filled with how difficult it is for women to get married and have kids while still in their medical training. However, the training never ends as medicine is a field of lifelong learning. I feel like waiting until you start your physician career to get married is not the only solution. Family is EXTREMELY important to me and I do not want to get married at like age 40...In fact, I'm pretty sure I want to have a family by the time I'm 27-28, and that is what most women in my culture do.

What are your thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

you can take a leave of absence to raise baby

The forums are filled with how difficult it is for women to get married and have kids while still in their medical training. However, the training never ends as medicine is a field of lifelong learning.

It's a career of prestige. They don't come without sacrifices. You just gotta put it off for a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning on getting married after my second year of med school and hope to have kids as soon as I graduate, which is unfortunately at the start of my residency training =/

Has anyone been in this situation before? Is it doable?

The forums are filled with how difficult it is for women to get married and have kids while still in their medical training. However, the training never ends as medicine is a field of lifelong learning. I feel like waiting until you start your physician career to get married is not the only solution. Family is EXTREMELY important to me and I do not want to get married at like age 40...In fact, I'm pretty sure I want to have a family by the time I'm 27-28, and that is what most women in my culture do.

What are your thoughts on this?

I got married this summer - after my second year of school - and plan to start thinking seriously about kids after the second or third year of my (planned) residency. My feeling is that there really is no "ideal" time to start having children, so pick a time and go with it. As long as you have a supportive spouse, and hopefully family nearby, to help out, it's do-able.

That being said, unless you're in a serious relationship with a great person, don't rush marriage just because you have a numerical time-line.

Lots of female residents have kids before or during residency. It's probably not the norm yet, but it's not uncommon either.

The most successful ones have a bad***** husband that stays home or a husband with a good job that allows for very cushy childcare (i.e. full time nanny). A third option would be living near very supportive family.

Specialty matters a lot. FM/Peds easier than Surg.

It's very doable with support and good planning. Most of the people who tell you it's impossible don't have kids and/or aren't married and therefore don't know what they're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.