marriage in med school. the finances

TexasFool

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're in medical school and you get married and your wife doesn't work, is it possible to live off of loans (in texas)?

Members don't see this ad.

My first thought is that it would be difficult (if possible at all), but it might just be easier to go in and talk to someone in your FA office to find out how your school does it.

Members don't see this ad :)
LEDeVolld said:
If you're in medical school and you get married and your wife doesn't work, is it possible to live off of loans (in texas)?

Probably, Texas schools are dirt cheap. Also you can also get outside loans. Finally, what is she doing that she isn't working? Still in school?

It depends on your expenses. Kids, medical conditions, car/house payments, etc could greatly affect how much money you need. In the financial aid forum there was a credit card thread that talked about non-need loans. If your credit is good, then you can get some loans for pretty much any purpose (and bypassing your FA office!). I think they're from SunTrust and BankOne.

If your wife isn't working, maybe she could get a part-time job. Some people hate Starbucks, but they have a good health plan for even the part-timers. I think it's pretty cool.

Good luck!

-X

LEDeVolld said:

LEDeVolld said:

Yes.

PM with specific questions. :)

Yes. It depends of course on where you are living and how expensive it is, but it is possible.

Hubby is a MSIV and I am a stay-at-home mom and student and we have always lived just on the stafford loans. This year, we did borrow a few hundred from a relative because of the price of COMLEX and interviewing, but hubby wouldn't have needed to if he was single.

Of course, we live in Missouri right now and cost-of-living is cheap. We are from Seattle and it would have been impossible to live off loans there.

Good luck!
Wifty