Marriage not great and now med school.

jpro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My marriage has not been so hot for a while now, and I'm wondering what my chances of it getting any better once school starts. Sometime I just want to give up. I've been the one that has tried to hold things together when times got rough. Once the pressure is on I know it will be even harder on both of us. I'm not very optomistic at this point because nothing has really changed in over a year. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Im not married, so my suggestions might not be that valid, BUT, these are my two cents.

1) Get her involved with other spouses of med students at your school.

2) Consider marital counseling if she will consent. It may provide valuable insight for you both.

Best of luck to you, anything worth having is worth sacrificing for.

jpro said:
My marriage has not been so hot for a while now, and I'm wondering what my chances of it getting any better once school starts. Sometime I just want to give up. I've been the one that has tried to hold things together when times got rough. Once the pressure is on I know it will be even harder on both of us. I'm not very optomistic at this point because nothing has really changed in over a year. :(
My heart goes out to you! What you need to do is work on it as much as you can before med school! And..when med school starts, you need to plan specific time just for your spouse. Marriage is important and not something to take lightly. You don't want to be a doctor and have everything, but not have a spouse anymore. Things get hard, but I truly believe in prayer!! I don't know what you believe, but it works!! I'll pray for you! Be blessed. Oh, I've been married for 2 years and things are going really well, so I can give you some tips if you want to PM me!!

Members don't see this ad :)
rhlmdmph2b said:
My heart goes out to you! What you need to do is work on it as much as you can before med school! And..when med school starts, you need to plan specific time just for your spouse. Marriage is important and not something to take lightly. You don't want to be a doctor and have everything, but not have a spouse anymore. Things get hard, but I truly believe in prayer!! I don't know what you believe, but it works!! I'll pray for you! Be blessed. Oh, I've been married for 2 years and things are going really well, so I can give you some tips if you want to PM me!!

Thanks, the problem is that we are the best of friends, but it does not go beyond that anymore. I've been married for over three years. When we got married I was still trying to figure out what I wanted to do, and at that time I wanted to be a physics prof. Obviously I changed my mind. I think the stress of undergrad might have played a role in it, but we are definately growing further apart every day.

Dude, marriage is tough. Med school is tough. They absolutely won't cancel each other out. Trouble in one will without a doubt make things tougher in the other.

Is it hopeless? Nope. Will making it work requre a lot of hard work, stress, sacrifice, etc.... Yep.

Look, you say you are the one who has been doing all the work to hold things together. I bet if you could read your spouses mind, she may be thinking she is the one doing all the work.

If you go into marriage with the attitude that both partners contribute 50%, it is doomed to fail. You have to have the attitude of "I'll contribute 100%." If your partner also has that attitude, then things might just work out.

The reality is that if you think you are contributing 100%, and are really giving it your all, you are probably in reality only contributing 60 or 70%. Same goes for her.

If you give less, your partner will feel resentment, regardless of how much she is giving. If she gives less, you will feel resentment. Once either feels resentment, the natural tendency is to say "To hell with this. I've been giving 100%, and getting nothing in return. I'm gonna give less. I'm just gonna give 50%. He/she will have to meet me halfway."

Unfortunately, when you give what you perceive to be 50%, it is actually probably closer to 30%.

As you can see, a viscious cycle is developing here and the only possible outcome is a failed marriage.

If your marriage matters to you, you need to examine your own actions. You need to say to yourself "I'm going to give 100%, no matter how much she gives."

You need to think back to the time before you were dating her. Think back to the time when you were trying to get her interested in you. Think back to when you were trying to win her heart, to make her fall for you, to make her fall in love with you.

If you aren't currently doing those same things at the same level of intensity, that you were doing at that time, then you are not giving 100% to this marriage.

I'm not saying she is giving 100%. I'm saying that unless you do, she won't.

Unless you do give 100%, regardless of medical school, your marriage sounds doomed to me.

You are going to face stress, long hours, hard work, fatigue, and cute nurses who flirt with you all the time.

Is it any wonder so many doctors cheat on their wives and end up divorced?

It doesn't have to be that way though. There are plenty of doctors with the maturity to recognize all of the above and take appropriate actions and avoid inappropriate actions.

The choice is really yours. I'm not trying to be hard on you, just honest.

I wish you the best of luck in both your marriage and your medical career.....in that order!

But let's say you do give 100% and yet your marriage doesn't improve? What do you do? My husband and I have been to hell and back, we've been apart for months and yet each time it has all worked out for the best but now in medical school it's not going that way anymore. He's either tired or frustrated and I've tried to get him to be interested in me again (the way we were before we got married!!!) and yet nothing seems to work! NOTHING! What do I do then? I know he loves me and i know he doesn't want to be with anyone else (at least I hope so) but how do you get the spark back? I can't go on feeling like this for much longer and I understand medical school sucks for the most part but when it starts to spill over into your marriage that makes it twice as hard doesn't it? I want to be there for him and do all that i can to make his life easier but I don't want to feel like an unattractive housemate who's along for the ride!! So tell me how do i get that spark back?

If she won't go to counseling with you, then go by yourself. I've done it. It's always good to have someone who is impartial and knows what they are doing to bounce things off of. Your judgement is likely clouded right now (as is mine :( )

I completely agree with the above posters. Hubby and I had a great relationship... until he graduated from college, we moved, the economy tanked, I started med school, he started into a deep depression, and his generalized anxiety got so bad that he spiraled into alcoholism. I was so busy with school that I didn't realize it until it was far worse, and much more difficult to deal with. I didn't insist on counseling until this had been going on for 2 whole years. He was so inert by then that he wasn't contributing much of anything. It would have been pretty easy to just cut my losses and go our separate ways.

Somehow, through the grace of, well, a damn good marriage counselor, a lot of patience and a hell of a lot of hard work, we're still together. It'll be 5 years in September.

It isn't easy. It's close to the hardest thing I've ever done, keeping this marriage together. But somehow, we're managing. We're still planning for the future, and although we've come precariously close to the big "D," we haven't gotten there yet.

On the bright side, many medical schools include personal and marital counseling as part of bundled student health benefits. They know it's stressful, and they build it in. Look into it. Finding a good counselor and working through things (including his depression and anxiety) is the main reason we're still together. Thankfully, it was all free through school.

Good luck to you.
Danielle