Married before Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arjw2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Question! I got married but I want my degree to have my maiden name and not my married last name? Am I wrong for feeling this way? Also, once I do change my name I will have to notify the school correct? so there's no way they can still keep my information under my Maiden name and not my married name?! ...

Members don't see this ad.

I know people that are married but still kept their maiden names even though they took their husbands last names. Dunno if they just never bothered updating the records or what, but I don't think it's a big deal either way. And if you want to keep your maiden name on your degree all the more power to you. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Hi! Question! I got married but I want my degree to have my maiden name and not my married last name? Am I wrong for feeling this way? Also, once I do change my name I will have to notify the school correct? so there's no way they can still keep my information under my Maiden name and not my married name?! ...

Why do you feel obligated to tell the school?

Who cares?

Members don't see this ad :)
more of like an obligation so it won't mess up financial aid in the coming years .. that's all

I don't think it's that uncommon for someone to be known professionally as Dr. ABC but socially as Mrs. XYZ. I know a few folks who were published for their research before they married, so for continuity of authorship they still publish/lecture under their maiden name.

So, I can't think of a state that would allow you to keep anything but your legal name on your paperwork for your license, but your display name can be different depending on how the state deals with it (AZ being one of them). I think the school has a similar relationship where you do actually have to use your legal name in paperwork, but your projected name can be a preference.

As for the authorship above, yes, that does happen, but it does give the perception that it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy and it's kind of known now unlike the last generation. Most hyphenate their names for that reason rather than publish with the maiden name.

Reactions: 1 users
Most of my friends who do this do not legally change their name, but instead only socially go by their married name (or hyphenate).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

it's not uncommon anymore for people to keep their last names. You're not obligated to change it, so your degree reflects whatever legal name you gave the school. It might get confusing when your rotations start or when you apply for a job if your school name is different from everything else in your documents.

Reactions: 1 user

Why do you care? Just change your name and get the damn diploma.

just make sure when you take your board exam, your ID, NABP ATT, are the same.