Married to a male OB/GYN

Started by sn333
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sn333

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am married to a male OB/GYN. Though i respect the field (i'm a IM physician too) and don't ever think of him as a pervert/untrustworthy, it makes me feel uncomfortable that he sees/examines naked women every day....especially the thought of attractive ones. I know this sounds insecure, but I really want to know if other women would feel this way about marrying a OB/GYN???
 
good post... when i first met my fiance, i used to swear that i'd never want to do OBGYN, and she seemed to appreciate that. but then after i saw my first delivery i called her up, i was so happy and she could hear my voice cracking when i talked about what a joy it was to successfully deliver the baby. ever since then i've been 100% focused on going into OBGYN and she hasn't minded at all. she knows why im doing it and trusts my intentions. she loves telling her friends that i want to do OB and that i teared up seeing my first delivery, she thinks its cute.
 
I've always thought there was something a little strange about a guy wanting to do OB/Gyn but that's just my opinion.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I respect men who want to do OB/GYN, it's a field that has become dominated by women and it's probably not a comfortable feeling to be the only male on a team of all female residents or physicians. I'm so sick of hearing all this bullsh*t about men who do OB being perverts with bad intentions. The gender of the physician should not matter; only whether he's a competent physician. We all must be professional no matter what field we pursue. A male who goes into IM or FP will have to exam nude attractive female patients too, part of being a physician is examining patients. For the poster, examining young beautiful women is part of his job, take into consideration that 99% of his patients will be old/obese/unattractive. I would not have any worries about him if your relationship is good. If not, I wouldnt worry about the patients, watch out for the women he works with. I have seen male physicians prey on young nieve nurses, interns, med students, receptionists, etc....... :luck:
 
Thanks, now that i think about it, i've heard more "obscene" and "unprofessional" remarks about women from my IM/FP counterparts. Keep up the confidence....it will get you far.

vietcongs said:
I respect men who want to do OB/GYN, it's a field that has become dominated by women and it's probably not a comfortable feeling to be the only male on a team of all female residents or physicians. I'm so sick of hearing all this bullsh*t about men who do OB being perverts with bad intentions. The gender of the physician should not matter; only whether he's a competent physician. We all must be professional no matter what field we pursue. A male who goes into IM or FP will have to exam nude attractive female patients too, part of being a physician is examining patients. For the poster, examining young beautiful women is part of his job, take into consideration that 99% of his patients will be old/obese/unattractive. I would not have any worries about him if your relationship is good. If not, I wouldnt worry about the patients, watch out for the women he works with. I have seen male physicians prey on young nieve nurses, interns, med students, receptionists, etc....... :luck: