Married to a male OB/GYN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sn333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am married to a male OB/GYN. Though i respect the field (i'm a IM physician too) and don't ever think of him as a pervert/untrustworthy, it makes me feel uncomfortable that he sees/examines naked women every day....especially the thought of attractive ones. I know this sounds insecure, but I really want to know if other women would feel this way about marrying a OB/GYN???

Members don't see this ad.

good post... when i first met my fiance, i used to swear that i'd never want to do OBGYN, and she seemed to appreciate that. but then after i saw my first delivery i called her up, i was so happy and she could hear my voice cracking when i talked about what a joy it was to successfully deliver the baby. ever since then i've been 100% focused on going into OBGYN and she hasn't minded at all. she knows why im doing it and trusts my intentions. she loves telling her friends that i want to do OB and that i teared up seeing my first delivery, she thinks its cute.

I've always thought there was something a little strange about a guy wanting to do OB/Gyn but that's just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I respect men who want to do OB/GYN, it's a field that has become dominated by women and it's probably not a comfortable feeling to be the only male on a team of all female residents or physicians. I'm so sick of hearing all this bullsh*t about men who do OB being perverts with bad intentions. The gender of the physician should not matter; only whether he's a competent physician. We all must be professional no matter what field we pursue. A male who goes into IM or FP will have to exam nude attractive female patients too, part of being a physician is examining patients. For the poster, examining young beautiful women is part of his job, take into consideration that 99% of his patients will be old/obese/unattractive. I would not have any worries about him if your relationship is good. If not, I wouldnt worry about the patients, watch out for the women he works with. I have seen male physicians prey on young nieve nurses, interns, med students, receptionists, etc....... :luck:

Thanks, now that i think about it, i've heard more "obscene" and "unprofessional" remarks about women from my IM/FP counterparts. Keep up the confidence....it will get you far.

vietcongs said:
I respect men who want to do OB/GYN, it's a field that has become dominated by women and it's probably not a comfortable feeling to be the only male on a team of all female residents or physicians. I'm so sick of hearing all this bullsh*t about men who do OB being perverts with bad intentions. The gender of the physician should not matter; only whether he's a competent physician. We all must be professional no matter what field we pursue. A male who goes into IM or FP will have to exam nude attractive female patients too, part of being a physician is examining patients. For the poster, examining young beautiful women is part of his job, take into consideration that 99% of his patients will be old/obese/unattractive. I would not have any worries about him if your relationship is good. If not, I wouldnt worry about the patients, watch out for the women he works with. I have seen male physicians prey on young nieve nurses, interns, med students, receptionists, etc....... :luck: