Marshall B. Ketchum Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who got accepted to this school? What are your stats? How was the interview process?

• Stats

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Interview

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

RXlife88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who got accepted to this school? What are your stats? How was the interview process?

Members don't see this ad.

You do an interview with a faculty member and preceptor. There is also an essay portion where they ask you several questions about pharmacy.

Hey! i did an interview in January and ended up on the "alternate list", I think I just have wait to complete my bachelors and for some 4.0 student to accept admission somewhere else. It's a solid school though with an extremely competitive PA and Optometry school. Make sure you get your degree if your stats are low, as he said that the president of the school is set on most students getting their degree because "we need to see you have followed something through".

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview but declined. 2.9 gpa, 93 PCAT, no pharm exp

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

you mean you declined the acceptance they gave you or declined declined?

your PCAT should rescue you, just apply to other schools! call ketchums director of admissions, he prides himself on getting people into any pharmd program

you mean you declined the acceptance they gave you or declined declined?

your PCAT should rescue you, just apply to other schools! call ketchums director of admissions, he prides himself on getting people into any pharmd program

Naw I declined the interview invitation because I got invitations from 13 other schools.
I think he's trying to get anyone into the program to fill the seats because not enough people apply to the school. The program has a pre candidate status and that will discourage a lot of applicants from applying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/url

Naw I declined the interview invitation because I got invitations from 13 other schools.
I think he's trying to get anyone into the program to fill the seats because not enough people apply to the school. The program has a pre candidate status and that will discourage a lot of applicants from applying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/url

Lmao 2.9 gpa with no pharmacy experience and declining schools like he a big shot :banana:

Reactions: 2 users
@WickedGoogly

his advice actually got my girlfriend into an extremely competitive nursing program like a couple weeks ago. He used to work for several medical schools too, I think one of them was western. he told me the pcat is a much better indicator for how you will do in pharmacy school over gpa. Honestly the only california school I'm worried about is west coast.....

What schools are your top choices??? all in california?

@WickedGoogly

his advice actually got my girlfriend into an extremely competitive nursing program like a couple weeks ago. He used to work for several medical schools too, I think one of them was western. he told me the pcat is a much better indicator for how you will do in pharmacy school over gpa. Honestly the only california school I'm worried about is west coast.....

What schools are your top choices??? all in california?
Naw my top choices are UIC , Uni of Colorado Denver, and Midwestern Glendale AZ
Don't go to west coast. I only applied to non accredited schools in Cali as a last resort

I got accepted and I'm definitely sticking with MKBU, anyone else going to this school? like offered a seat and accepted?

Reactions: 1 user
I got accepted and I'm definitely sticking with MKBU, anyone else going to this school? like offered a seat and accepted?
Congrats on your acceptance. Did you get into pharmd or PA? how was the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview isn't bad, they make it conversational for 30 minutes, I prepared for tough questions but they just ask you basic questions like why pharmacy, whats something you struggled with and how did you overcome it, and those types, and actually they asked a couple questions about "you" and who you are outside of your school and pharmacy endeavors, I actually didn't prepare for that at all but yeah........

I got accepted as well and ready to start this fall. The interview is really laid back if you have prepared well. You will have to do some mocks interviews with your friends or family member to get very comfortable with your answers don't wait till last minute before you start preparing. Prepare yourself ahead of time. Also, don't just give generic answers, research the school very well, know their mission and vision statement because that basically tell you what the school is about and also tells you if MBKU is for you. You must know basic interview questions like why pharmacy?, your strengths, more questions about YOU (behavioral questions). Be ready to sell yourself. This is your life if you need it soo bad work for it!. Best of luck to everyone especially those on the alternative list

Hi Guys, there is a lot of rumor among current students that the college-MBKU will not get candidate status. It is not a good idea to join it, west coast better option at this point

If you got accepted at MBKU, keep the admission till you find out if it got candidate status. If not it is very risky to join the program

Naw my top choices are UIC , Uni of Colorado Denver, and Midwestern Glendale AZ
Don't go to west coast. I only applied to non accredited schools in Cali as a last resort
west coast still ok, ketchum is not accredited

Folks, I have it from current students that they will not get candidate status, it is better to avoid this program... try west coast they have candidate status

I got accepted as well and ready to start this fall. The interview is really laid back if you have prepared well. You will have to do some mocks interviews with your friends or family member to get very comfortable with your answers don't wait till last minute before you start preparing. Prepare yourself ahead of time. Also, don't just give generic answers, research the school very well, know their mission and vision statement because that basically tell you what the school is about and also tells you if MBKU is for you. You must know basic interview questions like why pharmacy?, your strengths, more questions about YOU (behavioral questions). Be ready to sell yourself. This is your life if you need it soo bad work for it!. Best of luck to everyone especially those on the alternative list
don't go to ketchum, they are not yet accredited, try west coast

I just checked, the school is accredited. Don't spread lies to people. If your gunna tell the truth at least tell them the truth and say the entire pharmacy field is saturated and holds extremely low standards with no prospects to find a job anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

don't go to ketchum, they are not yet accredited, try west coast

This is insane...pharmacy schools are being unaccredited left and right. Wth is this profession anymore. The people over at the med forums probably laugh about this...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

All schools have to start somewhere. This school already has two established programs (optometry and PA), if they go under they risk losing the entire school bc their reputation is completely shot, which won't happen. I think Pharmgenius is on the alternate list and this is his tactic to get off it haha jk.

All schools have to start somewhere. This school already has two established programs (optometry and PA), if they go under they risk losing the entire school bc their reputation is completely shot, which won't happen. I think Pharmgenius is on the alternate list and this is his tactic to get off it haha jk.

There are already way too many pharmacy schools in California with dwindling applicants each year. Pharmacy schools are accepting anyone with a pulse willing to sign away $200k+ in loans to fill their seats to collect tuition money. Though a pipe dream, I hope Ketchum does maintain its reputation by reducing its class size if it cannot find qualified applicants.

The success of the pharmacy school will have no impact on the two existing schools. From a practical point of view, i can tell you one problem that I see with opening of new schools is shortage of quality rotation training sites, even for well established schools. Second, is shortage of paid intern positions, which is why the board of pharmacy had to scrap the requirement of 900 hours of paid internship to be licensed. Job wise, OC is one of the most saturated areas in the country. There may still be some jobs in the rural northern CA and central CA. After we graduate KGI, CHSU, Chapman, and Westcoast, god knows what will happen. The truth is only time will tell if all these schools can survive.

The success of the pharmacy school will have no impact on the two existing schools. From a practical point of view, i can tell you one problem that I see with opening of new schools is shortage of quality rotation training sites, even for well established schools. Second, is shortage of paid intern positions, which is why the board of pharmacy had to scrap the requirement of 900 hours of paid internship to be licensed. Job wise, OC is one of the most saturated areas in the country. There may still be some jobs in the rural northern CA and central CA. After we graduate KGI, CHSU, Chapman, and Westcoast, god knows what will happen. The truth is only time will tell if all these schools can survive.

Well in my situation I make about 100 dollars a month in income. Sure I may have to move to a different part of california after I graduate. As a whole, I agree orange county is super saturated, but if you are driven opportunities will appear. I actually picked up a prescription last week from a chapman intern at walgreens by my house!

I agree though that once 13 schools graduate their class its going to be way more saturated. I actually met up with a ketchum advisor and he said students opted to do their summer rotations in their home state rather than trying to find orange county rotations.