Maryland Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m gonna to hit at least 75k just doing 2.5 days of beeper call x 3 weekends.

Just image me doing full time locums. They are not fantasy numbers.

I just negotiated $800/hr all guaranteed even on beeper Xmas day. That’s almost 20k for full 24 hours. Now I’m gonna to split it with another doc. He’s gonna to do 7am-7p. I will take over and do 7p-7am beeper. All guarantee. So I get the best of both worlds. Spent Xmas morning opening up gifts with the family. Other guy is Jewish. So doesn’t care. About Xmas morning.

The money is in the calls. Not the daytime hours.

That’s why I tell the young folks to get stable w2 job. My job has all my weekends free. I’m basically free after 1-3pm almost every day. To do damage on weekends.

Better yet. Try to find a job 6-7 calls a month (24 hrs) full time for 500k do more damage on free time off.

Or negotiate job with 20 weeks off and 500k. So many variations how to make extra money. Plus have stable w2 income.

But the days of working q4 calls. Mix in with lates are over.

People want day time work 40 hours and no calls. Or lots of calls and lots of time off.

The in between is where u get unhappy people.
How messed up does your circadian rhythm get doing around 72 hours in a row with patchwork sleep? I could see this working out really nice with cush calls, anything busier than that and I'd be burned crispy.

I worked a locums job where I would get the postcall day off most of the time after a call shift and still get paid for the postcall day. That was nice.

Members don't see this ad.

How messed up does your circadian rhythm get doing around 72 hours in a row with patchwork sleep? I could see this working out really nice with cush calls, anything busier than that and I'd be burned

IDK, brah. Doesn’t matter ‘cause I’ll be raking in seven figures working half the year. Throw in a two week vacation at our fourth house in Augusta for my family I never get to see, and it’s as sweet as it gets. I get to write it off anyway according to my CPA who only deals with rich guys. I usually write everything off anyway: cars, houses, stethoscopes, scrubs, most of my immediate family. It’s all good, man. Anyway, have fun staying poor and well-rested.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
IDK, brah. Doesn’t matter ‘cause I’ll be raking in seven figures working half the year. Throw in a two week vacation at our fourth house in Augusta for my family I never get to see, and it’s as sweet as it gets. I get to write it off anyway according to my CPA who only deals with rich guys. I usually write everything off anyway: cars, houses, stethoscopes, scrubs, most of my immediate family. It’s all good, man. Anyway, have fun staying poor and well-rested.
Lol as if anyone here is buying new stethoscopes. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard USAP is offering 450k base in Maryland/DC. Seems like hours are like 50/week on avg with 4 calls/month. Is this a good number and how much are partners making after 2 years?

I heard USAP is offering 450k base in Maryland/DC. Seems like hours are like 50/week on avg with 4 calls/month. Is this a good number and how much are partners making after 2 years?
9% Maryland local and state income taxes.

Yes they tried to offer lower 18 months ago

But they are getting 20% out of u at 50 hours

Needs to be incentive based on 40 hours.

Hold out for more money.

450k base/10 weeks off/40 hours
Weekends (1 Saturday or Sunday) or 12 hrs whatever way u work it. Than anything above that needs to be incentive based at $6000 per 24 hrs at min probably $7000 is fair if in house.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. Go do locums. By all means.

I know guys making 1.5-2 million locums

I’m pulling more than 100k in December (next month) by having them guarantee all my hours for a certain week. It’s temporary but it’s good money.

But it’s a place I don’t see myself time. My full time job is in a good location.
Hello I had some questions that I would like to ask in private, do you mind please DM? Thank you in advance

• Haha
Yes. Go do locums. By all means.

I know guys making 1.5-2 million locums

I’m pulling more than 100k in December (next month) by having them guarantee all my hours for a certain week. It’s temporary but it’s good money.

But it’s a place I don’t see myself time. My full time job is in a good location.

You know guys who consistently make 125-166k per month? 4-6k every single day of the month? That’s Conrad Murray money.

You know guys who consistently make 125-166k per month? 4-6k every single day of the month? That’s Conrad Murray money.
The money is in the calls. Working 7-3/5pm 1099 at $300-400/hr doesn’t get u to 125k a month consistently. That’s 40-50 hours a week. Solid 60k a month which is pretty good.

I’m on the tail end of a massive 150
Hours work week. It will be between 56-57k. That’s one week of full 1099 work. That’s where the money is. The calls. Including double rate Xmas day.

The big money is on the weekend. For these full time locums docs. They got privileges at more than 10 hospitals. They find places that implode. Offer their services. You gotta work as a team. That’s how the consistent billable hours model rolls. The single entity person like me can’t get consistent money because I have a day job. I’m also 5 years away from calling it quits.

But if u have 2-4 guys tag teaming and going to facilities in trouble. You can get that consistent 1099 money.

It’s like organized crime. To extract as much money from the hospital as possible. But like I said numerous times. Hospital administrators aren’t smart. They all attend the stupid leadership conference. Being taught how to talk c suite without understanding what’s going on in the real world.

The AMCs aren’t losing money. I hate to tell you guys this. The hospitals are fronting all the money. So just go along with the ride with the AMCs. They still collect profits and pass all the cost to the hospital. It’s a different world than 10 years ago.

The money is in the calls. Working 7-3/5pm 1099 at $300-400/hr doesn’t get u to 125k a month consistently. That’s 40-50 hours a week. Solid 60k a month which is pretty good.

Hours work week. It will be between 56-57k. That’s one week of full 1099 work. That’s where the money is. The calls. Including double rate Xmas day.

The big money is on the weekend. For these full time locums docs. They got privileges at more than 10 hospitals. They find places that implode. Offer their services. You gotta work as a team. That’s how the consistent billable hours model rolls. The single entity person like me can’t get consistent money because I have a day job. I’m also 5 years away from calling it quits.

But if u have 2-4 guys tag teaming and going to facilities in trouble. You can get that consistent 1099 money.

It’s like organized crime. To extract as much money from the hospital as possible. But like I said numerous times. Hospital administrators aren’t smart. They all attend the stupid leadership conference. Being taught how to talk c suite without understanding what’s going on in the real world.

The AMCs aren’t losing money. I hate to tell you guys this. The hospitals are fronting all the money. So just go along with the ride with the AMCs. They still collect profits and pass all the cost to the hospital. It’s a different world than 10 years ago.
What benefit does finding 2-4 other guys get you?

What benefit does finding 2-4 other guys get you?
Coordinating multiple 1099 work sites. Maximize revenue.

For example.

Site A needs weekend coverage weekends 1 and 2

Site B needs coverage weekends 1 and 3

One guy can’t be at both sites A and B at the same time. That’s why you need two guys coordinating with each other. Or you lose out on those weekend coverage.

Another example is site A needs overnight coverage Monday-Thursday. 3pm-7a. Say they pay $375/hr. It’s pretty busy place. One doc can’t do all 4 nights in a row. So you coordinate. There is also a surgery center at the same time that needs coverage. It runs 7-2/3pm most days. So both docs will coordinate those two sites. If one doc gets stuck at the surgery center past 3pm. The other doc can cover the main hospital at 3pm for call coverage. While the other doc is at the surgery center finishing up.

The key is not to leave any money on the table. Almost billing 24 hours in a row almost every single day. But one doc will get some rest each day. So both docs are tag teaming to maximize income while affording some breaks in their schedule.

Now add in 3-4 docs doing this. This is where it can get interesting. Those 3-4 docs can be employed themselves full time with guaranteed w2 income. They negotiated 20 weeks off in their jobs. They coordinate themselves splitting their vacation weeks to cover sites for distressed sites. Those docs will generate another 400-500k in 1099 income themselves in addition to their 500-k plus w2 income. Like the best of all worlds. 1099 plus the guaranteed income of then w2 jobs. Plus limiting your w2 income tax exposure to taxes.

The key is to work as a team. Sure the market does dry up once in a while. But these docs have been doing with for the past 3-4 years.

when you say the money is in the calls, what should the hourly rate be for home beeper call? and in-house call? weekdays versus weekends? Holidays?

when you say the money is in the calls, what should the hourly rate be for home beeper call? and in-house call? weekdays versus weekends? Holidays?
Everything is negotiable. The more desperate the higher my rates. My beeper rate this week is $xxxx/hr while sleeping outside. My working working rate is $xxxx/hr. Get it? I’m getting PAID this week.

Now you are welcome to offer $25/hr to be beeper weekend. And $200/hr to work. They will probably take you.

Get what you can get as locums (if u have full time job already) I’d advise anyone with less than 2 years experience to keep the full time job. Get a feel of the real world.

There is more money to be made in upstate New York to be honest. Or the upper Midwest. Snowbirds come down to Florida in winter months especially Miami and Tampa and west side of Florida and drive down the prices so if u under cut them you can be more preferred candidate. Show up and do ur job.

What is ur goal? Lifestyle? Beach? Money?

Everything is negotiable. The more desperate the higher my rates. My beeper rate this week is $xxxx/hr while sleeping outside. My working working rate is $xxxx/hr. Get it? I’m getting PAID this week.

Now you are welcome to offer $25/hr to be beeper weekend. And $200/hr to work. They will probably take you.

Get what you can get as locums (if u have full time job already) I’d advise anyone with less than 2 years experience to keep the full time job. Get a feel of the real world.

There is more money to be made in upstate New York to be honest. Or the upper Midwest. Snowbirds come down to Florida in winter months especially Miami and Tampa and west side of Florida and drive down the prices so if u under cut them you can be more preferred candidate. Show up and do ur job.

What is ur goal? Lifestyle? Beach? Money?
Yes it's negotiable indeed but I'm trying to get a general consensus on your typical beeper call rate that is not in house...I hear numbers thrown out like $100/hour to carry the beeper and a fixed hourly rate for being called in ...is that fair for non holiday weekend ?

Yes it's negotiable indeed but I'm trying to get a general consensus on your typical beeper call rate that is not in house...I hear numbers thrown out like $100/hour to carry the beeper and a fixed hourly rate for being called in ...is that fair for non holiday weekend ?
Only you would know what the value of beeper call is

For me. I ain’t gonna to be out of town on beeper if I can’t make at least 5-6k a weekend 24 hr day on beeper. Meaning I’m not gonna to sit in a hotel away from home with zero cases for $2000-2400 beeper.

Again. I know you are new at this. But locums is a different agenda for everyone.

1. Are you full time locums?
2. Do you want money?
3. Do you want to work hard ?
4: do you want to get a feel for the area?

To me. It appears you have no clue what you want except not to work and have money flowing through.

For me. It’s a game. A game I’ve been at a long time. I have a full time job already. I don’t need the money. I don’t need the job. So I don’t care. If they won’t give me what I want. I won’t do it. That’s my take on it.

Do I take some bad deals once in a while? Absolutely. Cause it’s a one off deal I do intermittently I will cover one weekend once in a while at a place I don’t really like. But I like the people. And it’s like social hour for me to shoot the breeze. It doesn’t pay as well as my other places. So I will cover once in a while to keep the doors open. Cause they may need to use me once in a while. And it’s close by.

For me. I ain’t gonna to be out of town on beeper if I can’t make at least 5-6k a weekend 24 hr day on beeper. Meaning I’m not gonna to sit in a hotel away from home with zero cases for $2000-2400 beeper.

Again. I know you are new at this. But locums is a different agenda for everyone.

2. Do you want money?

To me. It appears you have no clue what you want except not to work and have money flowing through.

For me. It’s a game. A game I’ve been at a long time. I have a full time job already. I don’t need the money. I don’t need the job. So I don’t care. If they won’t give me what I want. I won’t do it. That’s my take on it.

Do I take some bad deals once in a while? Absolutely. Cause it’s a one off deal I do intermittently I will cover one weekend once in a while at a place I don’t really like. But I like the people. And it’s like social hour for me to shoot the breeze. It doesn’t pay as well as my other places. So I will cover once in a while to keep the doors open. Cause they may need to use me once in a while. And it’s close by.
that is why I ask, because, one can do dayshift from 7-3p and make the same as being stuck "on" call for 24 hours, much less on a weekend and making the same. I'm just trying to get some fair # for beeper calls on the weekends, i know there are variables such as how desperate they are, how busy it could get, etc.

I actually don't mind working hard, as long I am being appropriately paid, but I am just inquiring to see what I should bill these places IF i decide to do weekend locums, as there are ads for them, and I already turned down some that tried to pay me for a week of beeper call that was not worth my time either.

2. Do you want money?

another question:
let's say I do get a hold of a recruiter and we agree to some locums agreement for a fixed 40hour/week;
if there are needs for weekend coverage at this location, and the place likes me, would it have to be negotiated thru the recruiter ?
Or are you making your own arrangements for weekend call coverage outside ? as it seems it would hard to network if i'm not local
nor credentialed at many of these low lying places.

another question:
let's say I do get a hold of a recruiter and we agree to some locums agreement for a fixed 40hour/week;
if there are needs for weekend coverage at this location, and the place likes me, would it have to be negotiated thru the recruiter ?
Or are you making your own arrangements for weekend call coverage outside ? as it seems it would hard to network if i'm not local
nor credentialed at many of these low lying places.
I would never agree to a 40 hour work week. Because you could be sent home early say 4 hours one day and then have to work 12 hours the next day just to meet ur average of 8 hours

A min of 50 hours for me if I’m doing the full week.

Or negotiate a guarantee 8 hours each shift.

Again. Just show up and show you can work and just work. You are over thinking this and asking too many questions. Work is work. It’s locums. You are a mercenary.

To be honest. And it’s simply my opinion. Get some real experience under ur belt at a real job. Ask ur colleagues what their experience is. I feel like im talking to someone who has no clue what they are wanting. Get at least one year experience under ur belt. Get board certified.. Than think the locums route.

I would never agree to a 40 hour work week. Because you could be sent home early say 4 hours one day and then have to work 12 hours the next day just to meet ur average of 8 hours

A min of 50 hours for me if I’m doing the full week.

Or negotiate a guarantee 8 hours each shift.

Again. Just show up and show you can work and just work. You are over thinking this and asking too many questions. Work is work. It’s locums. You are a mercenary.

To be honest. And it’s simply my opinion. Get some real experience under ur belt at a real job. Ask ur colleagues what their experience is. I feel like im talking to someone who has no clue what they are wanting. Get at least one year experience under ur belt. Get board certified.. Than think the locums route.
Can you do these sort of negotiations for NAPA/an AMC/hospital employee? Or is it only really possible as a 1099 or PP? Do you mind sending me a PM as well? I have a few questions about some jobs in the area and I know you'd be able to help me

Can you do these sort of negotiations for NAPA/an AMC/hospital employee? Or is it only really possible as a 1099 or PP? Do you mind sending me a PM as well? I have a few questions about some jobs in the area and I know you'd be able to help me
There is nothing secret about it. It’s called negotiating. I don’t know why people are so wishy washy.

They don’t meet your demands. Your decision to take it or leave it. It’s the free market.

If you don’t like it. Walk away.

I think that’s the problem with people. They are too afraid to leave or negotiate.

I’m in process of negotiations for a 20 week off job.

Maryland is a market that’s pretty saturated. Just like Miami Florida area. The free market. Determine what employers will give u.