Maryland or BU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d7486

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Congrats to all those who received acceptances yesterday.

I was very blessed yesterday to receive two acceptances, from Maryland and Boston University. In an effort to help everyone who's still waiting for a letter, I'm attempting to decide between the two, so I can put down a deposit on one and free up a seat at the other ASAP.

I liked both schools when I visited, for different reasons. I wasn't too impressed with BU's curriculum or facilities, but the people there seemed really nice and the city is fantastic. On the other hand, at Maryland, I was blown away by the technology and program, but the administrators/interviewers/tour guides weren't all that friendly. I've heard great things about the Maryland community on these boards, but I didn't get a sense of that when I visited. (I also wasn't a huge fan of Baltimore, although it would be a huge savings in cost of living).

I'm looking to potentially specialize.

Maryland is not my state school, so tuition wouldn't be that cheap... but I believe that I would save a little bit in cost of living by being in Baltimore.

So, I guess it boils down to this - for those who have considered Boston and/or Maryland, which would you choose and why?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey if you go to Maryland - I can have a chance at BU :( haha

OR if you go to BU I can have a chance at Maryland :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of sounds like you've already made up your mind. :) But if you need the extra push, it sounds like Maryland would be a better fit for you. And I mean... they have a sun catcher in their lounge! :D

But Boston is also an amazing school. If their expense were a little lower, I would have a tough choice myself.

Go to Maryland and get the DDS name lol

looks like we got someone else who wants to go to BU lol

I was pretty sure that he wanted Maryland, not BU.

BTW: I also got accepted to Maryland and am trying to choose between UMD and Penn. I was very impressed by UMD too! I wasn't even thinking about Maryland until after I interviewed and found out that I really LOVE it! I personally would go to MD, if it was between BU and UMD. I think UMD has a lot to offer and they're really high tech! But in the end, its all up too you. :) Congrats!

If you're a resilient type of person, you'd be happy with BU or Maryland. The one thing that you should definitely find out, is how Maryland manages patients for you as a student.

I'd offer you an idea of what BU does.

1) You're assigned patients from Patient Coordinator automatically. You can "request" for more patients by talking to the pt coordinator, but it doesn't happen with a snap of the finger. It's somewhat challenging to bring in patients of your own, especially if they're in pain and need emergency treatment.

2) You're required to contact the patient, find out their schedules and remember their needs for step 3.

3) You're required to show up between 7 am till 8 am on Wednesday morning to "book chair time" for your patient in 2 weeks time.

4) You're to call your patient after Wednesday to let them know you've gotten chair time for them, and pray that they can show up in 2 weeks.

Now, I won't go into how annoying it is when 1) Pt don't show up in 2 weeks and you needed the pt to show up 2) Pt calls to cancel 24 hours, but after 48 hours prior to appt 3) Pt needs 2 back-to-back appointments for a procedure 4) Pt can only come on the day that you have class 5) etc, etc.

Also, the problem of lack of patients. 1st semester of 3rd year is over, and I do not have a single Fixed Pros case, Remo case, and Perio case. Granted, I haven't been talking to my patient coordinator as I should...

Anyway, patient management is a very very big part of 3rd & 4th year in BU... so you might want to get the prospective of a Maryland student about that.

Submitted first week of June
Dat last week of Aug
BU interview first week of Nov

:(

I'm rootin for you lol I hope you hear soon...

And yes my #1 is Maryland, my Maxillofacial surgeon I shadowed with told me how great the school is and even called in for me, prob won't do me much but that would be real nice! BU/Tufts is next. I really should have applied to 3 schools :)

to get a sense of what other schools are like --

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=566700

It's imperative to know this to make your life easier. Your 1st and 2nd year is not the defining moment of your dental school life - therefore, make it a priority to know.

Hell, if I had known what I know now... I wouldn't have even applied to BU. I'd have applied vigorously to schools where they give each student their own "chair."

Damn... if only I have my own ****ing chair. I'd be so *$#)(@&$ happy right now.

****! ****! ****! ****! I WANT MY OWN CHAIR YOU $(&#@( BASTARDS!

(I've a test tomorrow, but I have to go to the clinic at 7:30 AM to book appointments... so I can't cram as I desire. See the problem? $&#(@%&@(!!)

personally i think Maryland is a better school. it has a much better reputation than BU..i thought the facilities, faculty, and area in general were better than BU...but the choice is ultimately up 2 u...congrads on getting accepted to the schools =)

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I mailed my deposit to Maryland today, and as soon as my check is cashed I will withdraw from BU - freeing up a seat for (hopefully) one of you (especially Ninster)!

:luck:

to get a sense of what other schools are like --

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=566700

It's imperative to know this to make your life easier. Your 1st and 2nd year is not the defining moment of your dental school life - therefore, make it a priority to know.

Hell, if I had known what I know now... I wouldn't have even applied to BU. I'd have applied vigorously to schools where they give each student their own "chair."

Damn... if only I have my own ****ing chair. I'd be so *$#)(@&$ happy right now.

****! ****! ****! ****! I WANT MY OWN CHAIR YOU $(&#@( BASTARDS!

(I've a test tomorrow, but I have to go to the clinic at 7:30 AM to book appointments... so I can't cram as I desire. See the problem? $&#(@%&@(!!)

Ha, dont worry, 3rd year is about as stressful and brutal as it gets...life will be much easier next year.