Maryland/UNC Chances.

Started by Bob Wells
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bob Wells

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are my chances for admission to Maryland? or UNC? Any Advice on reach schools welcome as well.

Major: Biochem
I have a 3.68 cumulative GPA from Umd;
(3.8 factoring in my community college courses which I took before admission at umd)

My science GPA is ~3.7 (3.9 in chemistry all taken at UMD with A+ Orgo II)


PCAT scores:
Verbal 58
Reading 37 ( Yeah...)
Biology 84
Math 88
Chemistry 98
Composite

I am also one of the few Undergraduate TAs for chem here which I hear demonstrates leadership or something (?) And I should have really good recommendation.

Thanks a lot!
 
i would say your chances are very very good.

now if only I could have your chemistry score lol....ill gladly give you my 92 on verbal and 97 on reading lol....i got a freakin 51 in chem...how did you get such a high score?
 
The trick to the chemistry section is you don't have to solve any of the problems mathematically- All you have to do is think about each problem logically and it'll be much easier. ( Also I just naturally get chemistry... )
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you left out your composite score btw. is that assuming that your schools will be looking more at the subscores on each section than the composite or did you just not want to write it there?
 
How are both schools on accepting out of state students? (I look on pharmcas to see the percent of out of state students but PharmCAS doesn't always paint the whole picture )

B.S. Pharmacology and Toxicology with a minor in biology
overall gpa - 3.24, math/sci 3.00
in graduate school right now (first year masters in microbiology)
volunteer in pharmacy office

94 composite pcat
89 verbal
99 bio
64 quantitative
79 reading
93 chem
 
Not sure about UMD, but heard UNC is very tough for out of staters. OP might have a chance, but just know that you're competing against the best of the best. The average composite PCAT scores are in the mid 80s, so you may want tom improve your indivdual scores if your composite does not break 80.
 
Not sure about UMD, but heard UNC is very tough for out of staters. OP might have a chance, but just know that you're competing against the best of the best. The average composite PCAT scores are in the mid 80s, so you may want tom improve your indivdual scores if your composite does not break 80.

I posted my stats. My pcat is a 94 so that is not a problem. My problem is my low gpa.